Navegaon National Park Maharashtra
Located in Gondia district of Maharashtra, Navegaon National Park is one of the big reasons why one should visit Maharashtra for upcoming wildlife holiday. Deer Park, Dr. Salem bird sanctuary, and three exotic gardens are the important parts of the wildlife sanctuary, which altogether makes the park a livelier. Going back to history, the area where the park currently stands was under the rule of the Gond tribal king, King Dalpatshah. He (King Dalpatshah) and his queen understood the importance of agriculture; thus to support this practice and considering the importance of water, multiple waterbodies were built around the park. Over the time, all these lakes keep on attracting migratory and resident water birds, and many animals too. All these lakes today are excellent habitats for migratory and resident water birds. Many also support diverse animal life too. Today, all these lakes are in excellent condition and are one of the many reasons why beautiful species seek refuge in the park.
For a thrilling experience in the Navegaon National Park, tourists can suit themselves in accommodations located in the park; Sanjay Kutir (with tree houses) and Youth Hostels are some good options. Alternatively, one can also drive into the forested routes. Tigers or leopards might be hard to find, but the colorful birds and butterflies will surely enthrall the tourists. Also, the park is a refuge for other species like spotted deer, sambar deer, langurs, panthers, bisons, chital, wild boars, and peacocks. For the closer look of the national park, one should climb to clock towers or can visit the museum or the library to see a good collection on the diversity of the region. Be it for adventure; be it for education; be it for conservation, whatever might be the purpose of tourists, Navegaon National Park promises to enthrall and entertain tourists at every turn.
- Famous Flora That Can be Seen in Navegaon National ParkIn the vicinity of the park, one can find trees in a good number of various shapes, and sizes. The sanctuary serves as a repository of economic, medicinal and aromatic plant and tree species like Teak, Haldu, Jamun, Kawat, Mahua, Ain, Bhel, and Bhor.
- Famous Fauna That Can be Seen in Navegaon National Park Undoubtedly, it's the birds that dominate the region but there also a number of mammals that can be seen in the region like Tiger, Panther, Jungle Cat, Small India Civet, Palm Cavet, Wolf, Jackal, Bisons, Sambars, Nilgais, Chitals, Wild boars, Sloth Bears, and Wild Dogs.
- From the birdies point of view, Navegaon National Park is quite close to paradise. According to the researchers, 60% of the total bird population found in Maharashtra can be seen in Navegaon National Park. Every winter, rare birds looks upon the national park and create a kaleidoscope of colors in the sky. And to catch the rare sights birds chirping and singing at the top of their voice, and flapping their wings is to visit the lake or watch tower.
- Food connoisseur should make a point to enjoy some scrumptious mango and orange burfi of Vidarbha. Also the khoya jalebi available in region is mouth watering.
- If tourists have extra days at their disposal or wish to explore more about the area than enjoy a short stopover at Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary (60 km), Itiadoh Dam (20 km), Tibetan Camp and Pratapgad (15 km).
Best time to Visit
To see the park in its true glory, one should visit here from October to May as the climate will be cool; also it will be a good time to indulge in bird watching.
Wildlife Sanctuary Timing
For the better understanding of the national park, one should take a jeep or mini bus safari. See below for complete safari timings
|1st Oct to 30th Nov||6:00 AM – 8:00 AM||10:00 AM||2:30 PM - 4:00 PM||6.30 PM|
|1st Dec to 28th / 29th Feb||6:30 AM- 8:30 AM||10:00 AM||2:00 PM – 3:30 PM||6:00 PM|
|1st Mar to 30th April||6:00 AM – 8:30 AM||10:30 AM||2:30 PM – 4:30PM||6.30 PM|
|1st May to 30th June||5:30AM - 7:30AM||10:00 AM||3:00 PM – 5:00 PM||7:00 PM|
07:00 AM to 06:00 PM - October 1 - January 31
07:00 AM to 07:00 PM - February 1 - June 15
The wildlife sanctuary remains closed from June 16 to September 30
All four gates of the wildlife sanctuary – Jambhadi, Kholi, Baki and Pitambertola remain closed on friday.
How to Reach
By Roadways: From Navegaon, Gondia and Nagpur regular state buses are available to reach the national park.
By Railways: Gondia Railway Station, 65 kilometers from the sanctuary, is the closest railway station. Buses and taxis are easily available at the railway station to reach the park.
By Airways: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport in Nagpur is the closest airport.