Shivaji Jayanti is being celebrated as the birthday of Shivaji Maharaj which is a grand occasion of the state of Maharashtra. Every year on 19th February his birthday is celebrated on a grand scale and he is remembered as God Shivai by the people of Maharashtra. Chhatrapati Shivaji is not only a legend from the history of India but is a hero for the people of Maharashtra and also for the whole nation.
He was the person who created the Maratha nation and was also successful in uniting the several Maratha chiefs. On his birthday, the government organizes a grand occasion where several processions are held and people dress up like Shivaji and his other associates. Several programmes are organized to recognize and remember the great deeds done by this legendary ruler. He was not only a great ruler but a fighter who had inspired several common people to fight against the Mughal power and establish their own control. He has not only created an empire for the Marathas but also introduced many revolutionary plans for the benefits of the people. This festival is a small gesture to commemorate his works.
Duration of the festival
This festival is celebrated for one day on 19th February every year, the day when the leader was born in Maharashtra.
Highlights/ Important Rituals of the Festival
- The main highlight of this festival is that a very colorful procession is organized on this day where there are many dancers who perform on traditional songs.
- A huge number of people come to attend this festival who adore the king passionately.
- This festival is a way in which the people of Maharashtra show respect towards the courage and military skills of Shivaji Maharaja.
- Floral tributes are offered to the statue of Shivaji at the Shivneri Fort.
- It is a spectacular scene to witness this festival of Maharashtra when this outstanding king is paid homage by several people for his bravery and skills.
History of the Attraction
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaja was born on 19th February 1630 at the Shivneri Fort in Maharashtra. He was a great ruler and his achievements are countless. He was a true leader and had worked very hard to establish the Maratha nation. Through his several victories in the battles, Shivaji became a hero of the Marathas. After him many rulers came but his majesty is still remembered and celebrated. The glory of the great ruler is still alive in the minds of the Marathi people and they celebrate the Shivaji Jayanti to pay respect to their king.