States Assam Cachar Silchar

Silchar Cachar

Silchar, the second largest city in the state of Assam is the headquarters of Cachar district. About 90% of the population here consist of Bengalis who speak the local Sylhet language. The remaining 10% comprises of people from Bihar, Manipur, Bishnupur, Rajasthan, and some tribal groups including the Nagas. It is situated along Barak River in the place popularly known as Barak Valley.

It is one of the most visited cities in the state of Assam as it has a lot to offer to all kinds of travellers. From a culturally enriched history to a well-preserved nature, Silchar is a beautiful place to be.

Popular Things to Do and See in and Around

There is a lot to see in and around Silchar. Some of the places that are not worth missing are Maibong, which is situated at an altitude of 355 metres is the old capital of Silchar. Ancient architecture and beautiful landscape arethe attractions here. Hajo is the place where people follow different faith. The Hayagriva Madhava Mandir, which is believed to have been constructed in 6th century is dedicated to Hinduism and Buddhism. Hajo’s Powa Mecca attracts Muslims from all over the world. Khaspur, located 20 km from Silchar hold ruins of ancient Assam and is a beautiful place to visit as well. Jatinga, a beautiful village is yet another place that you can visit. Maniharan Tunnel on Bhuvan Hill with Triveni River underneath is visited by Hindu pilgrims.

Some of the other places that you can visit are Umrangshu, which is a spectacular hill station, Kachari Fort, a famous historical monument, Sri KanchaKanti Devi Temple, Hindustan Paper Corporation Ltd, the largest paper mill in Asia, and martyr’s tomb.

Getting There

Silchar enjoys great connectivity and can be reached from any part of the country.

By Air: Silchar has the second busiest airport in Assam and regular flights are available to and from Guwahati, Kolkata, and Tezpur.

Silchar Assam

By Train: The main railway head is in Tarapur and it is only recently that rail tracks upgraded to broad gauge. It now has regular trains from different parts of the country.

By Road: State buses connect Silchar to Guwahati, Imphal, Agartala, Sillong, and Aizawl. Private buses are available as well.

Best Time to Visit

End of November to February is the best time to visit Silchar. It rains heavily during summer and monsoon and Silchar should be avoided during this time. The vicinity to Barak River is responsible for such climatic conditions.

Assam Travel Information at a Glance