A prominent landmark in Pune, Shinde Chhatri is a memorial devoted to Mahadji Shinde, a warrior in chief during the Maratha rule. The memorial was built between 1760 and 1780 on the Wanowrie area of Pune. No wonder, it's the architecture that is the most prominent feature but the temple of Lord Shiva is worth a visit. A class in itself, the floral design and carvings on the Shinde Chhatri still looks so beautiful even after so many years of its construction. The luster of the iron entrance gate still exists. Marble flooring lamps, colorful window panes, and huge pillars of each room looks as radiant as they were at the time they built. Also worth a watch are some of the photographs of members of Shinde (Scindia).
History of the Shinde Chhatri
An example of Maratha architecture, Pune's Shinde Chhatri was made in 1794 to honor Maratha leader - Mahadji Shinde. It is currently a prominent landmark of Pune because of its exteriors, carrying the intricate, and detailed carvings all over. Like its exteriors, the interiors too are spellbinding. Inside the vestige, there's a hall that marks the spot of Mahadji Shinde's cremation. Now, there's so much to see in the temple, however, when it was initially made, there was only a temple, which was dedicated to Lord Shiva. In 1965, a samadhi of Mahadji Shinde was made at the same place where he was cremated. Years later, Madhavrao Scindia, descendants of Mahadji Shinde, instructed to build the complete complex. Presently, the complex is under the direct supervision of Scindia Devasthan Trust, Gwalior.
06:00 AM to 09:00 PM, Open all days