South India is a perfect choice to spend some quality time with your near and dear ones. The weather and serenity of majestic hills, tranquil backwaters, cascading waterfalls, pristine mountains, emerald green plantations and scenic landscapes means a lot for a funfilled vacation.
South India is never monotonous; it is infinitely varied in form and colour. Here, every mile reveals bliss. The ambiance of South India is wrapped up with illimitable eternal bliss and never-ending romance.
The sight of veritable waterfall dashing down between lofty cliffs, fresh green tints of trees, majestic mountains and heritage sites are soul soothing. It is cradled high in rich flora and fauna and great cultural heritage. It is very difficult to do justice to the beauty of South India within the scope of this post. Without visiting one cannot fully understand the soul of South India.
Also Check out: Popular South India Hill Station Tour Packages
South India has some of the most beautiful Hill stations in the world which is a perfect getaway for couples, family and friends, adventure seekers and nature lovers because scenic surrounding is the bread and butter for the toil-weary soul.
The mesmerizing hilly regions of South India provides a great opportunity to tune into the rhythm of song filled mornings, picturesque landscapes and feel the tranquil environment away from the chaos of city life with family and friends.
If you are planning a wonderful vacation to South India’s hilly regions then here is our soul soothing list of Top 20 hill stations in South India which blows your heart away.
Here is the updated list of top 25 hill stations to explore in South India in 2023-
|Name of the Hill Station
||Popular Activities to Do
||Rock Climbing, Wildlife Spotting, Hiking, Tea Plantation Tours
|Ooty, Tamil Nadu
||Toy Train Ride, Boating, Snacking, Sightseeing
|Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu
||Strolling, Boating, Cave Exploration, Hiking
||Waterfalls Hiking, Sightseeing, Sunset Watching
|Coonoor, Tamil Nadu
||Hiking, Tea Plantation Tours, Vintage Car Riding, Heritage Train Ride
|Araku Valley, Andhra Pradesh
||Submarine Tour, Cave Exploration, Water Sports Activities, Tribal Culture Exploring
|Yercaud, Tamil Nadu
||Sightseeing, Wildlife Spotting, Hiking
|Ananthagiri Hills, Telangana
||Temple Tours, Coffee Plantation Tours, Wildlife Spotting, Sightseeing
|Kotagiri, Tamil Nadu
||Trekking, Hiking, Sightseeing
||Hiking, Camping, Photography
|Nandi Hills, Karnataka
||Photography, Road trip, Cycling, Visiting Historical Places
||Spotting Flora and Fauna, Trekking, Sightseeing
|Yelagiri, Tamil Nadu
||Temple Visits, Water Sports Activities
||Trekking, Visiting Historical places, Nature Walks
||Hiking, Waterfalls Hiking, Learning About the Species of Cobra
|Nagari Hills, Andhra Pradesh
||Seek Blessings, Spotting Asian Elephants, Waterfalls Hiking
|Horsley Hills, Andhra Pradesh
||Zoo Visit, Lake Visit, Temple Visit
||Trekking, Picnic, Nature Photography
|Anaimalai Hills, Tamil Nadu
||Elephant camp visits, Hiking, Sightseeing
|Valparai, Tamil Nadu
||Picnic, Temple Visits, Waterfalls Hiking
||Boating, Exploring Culture, Sightseeing
||Waterfall Visits, Butterfly Spotting
||Coffee Plantation Visits, Photography, Sightseeing
Recommended Tour Packages
Munnar – Paradise in God’s own country – Kerala
Munnar, the toy-town hill station in the “God’s Own Country” – Kerala is an ideal holiday bliss. It comes first in the list of top 10 Hill Stations in South India. Away from the hustle and bustle of the routine clad life, it accounts for the most memorable time spent and the ultimate choice for the nature lovers, couples and adventure seekers. It is popular for its tea gardens, lakes, waterfalls and beautiful country side.
The placid trails laid throughout this retreat are the best strolling paths ever taken. However, sipping a brew in small tea shops along the tea gardens and awe-inspiring viewpoints provide the great aura to bond and create long lasting memories with your family and friends. It is also a perfect haunt for photographers to capture some breathtaking views of scenic landscapes.
Cool weather and serene surroundings will restore the calmness of your mind. In coming days, no doubt Munnar will be a health resort because the toil weary soul of a person must find in the delightful climate of Munnar the change of air and water which will restore him to the energy of which the chaos of the city life have robbed him. Munnar is one of the must visit place in South India.
Top Things to Do in Munnar
- Top Station Viewpoint – Highest point on Munnar- Kodaikanal Road
- Plantation Walk – Lush green tea plants
- Mountain Biking – Blissful scenes on wheels
- Waterfall Tour – Munnar’s untouched Beauty
- Trekking – Fun and thrill vibes
- Wildlife Tour – Spot some rare and exotic wildlife species
- Camping- Stay and feel the bliss of scenic landscapes
- Angling- Fun in the water
- Paragliding- Be the king of the sky
Also Check out: All Inclusive Munnar Tourism Packages
Ooty- Bliss of Nilgiri Hills
Ooty is one of the best hill stations in South India for Family Vacation. It is also known as Queen of Hill Stations owing its beauty to the varied scenery offered by Nilgiri Hills which surround them.
Assorted with many cosy cottages, lodges, hotels and restaurants, it is also one of the most popular romantic getaways flooded with many honeymooners from various parts of the world.
The Scenic landscapes of Ooty have been luring tourists for ages. This hill station is a paradise for nature lovers.
It is a place where you can hear the melodious rhythm of rustling of leaves of the tea estates along the slopes, sights and sounds of the tranquil waters of Avalanche and Ooty lake will sooth your heart, Majestic mountains will smile on you and the glimpse of exhaustlessly fertile meadows will be one of unequalled loveliness.
Ooty is one of the best summer destinations in South India. Some of the popular tourist attractions in Ooty are Kalhatty Waterfalls, Madumalai National Park, Ooty Rose Garden, Rock view point, Mukunthu National Park and many more.
Top Things to Do in Ooty
- Avalanche Lake – Fun of Trout fishing
- Ooty Lake – Boating on the blissful shores
- Ooty Botanical Garden – Check out the mesmerising 20 million years old Fossil Tree Trunk
- Deer Park – Heaven for wildlife enthusiasts
- Doddabetta Peak – Trekking trails in the highest peak in Nilgiris
- Nilgiri Mountain Railway – Fun ride in the UNESCO Heritage site
- Wax World Ooty- Fascinating wax statues of famous Indian personalities
- Carin and Elk Hill – Wonderful offbeat Destinations in Ooty
Recommended Tour Packages
Idukki – Perfect Winter Retreat
Idukki is one of the most beautiful hill stations in Kerala, Southern India. Laden with many sanctuaries, tea gardens and national park, it provides the perfect spice required to light up your day.
With its spice plantations and many aboriginal tribes, it provides a very unique essence in life. It is known for its panoramic view points and the Idukki dam, which is world’s second and Asia’s first arch dam.
The vista offered by the place is truly majestic. The best affair is the elephant safari that takes the visitors through the tea plantations which elevates your experience to a new level.
Idukki is decked with abundance of forests, medicinal plants, herbs which makes it a perfect destination for enjoying in Ayurvedic health resorts. It also houses Kerala’s most of the wildlife sanctuaries and national Parks. It is one of the best destinations for nature lovers, adventure seekers and couples. Dense forests, gushing rivers, vast stretches of sea, craggy mountains and cool weather makes Idukki one of the best winter destinations of South India.
Top Things to Do in Idukki
- Experience the fun of Wildlife Trekking
- Camping in the mesmerising deep forests of Idukki
- Embrace the thrill of Bamboo rafting in the ferocious waters of Idukki Rivers
- Touch the sky through paragliding
- Canoeing, Hiking and biking will blow your heart away
- Boating in Kundalam, Sengulam, Anayirankal Dam will make your day in Idduki
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Kodaikanal – Best Romantic Getaway
This beautiful retreat in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu is appreciated as one of the best hill stations in South India for Honeymoon. Kodaikanal is known for its breathtaking backdrops that certainly mesmerize you.
With many enchanting view points and the majestic Kodaikanal Lake filled with water lilies, gives the opportunity to enjoy the Bollywood romantic duets. It is also known as “princess of Hills”. Kodaikanal is the hub of natural wilderness. Meandering rivers, enchanting dense forests, exquisite beauty of trees and vegetation and scenic landscapes casting colours on the clear waters of the lakes is a mesmerizing sight to behold. This makes Kodaikanal one of the must visit destinations in South India. Exploring South India would be incomplete without visiting Kodaikanal.
Top Things to Do in Kodaikanal
- Blissful boat ride in Kodaikanal Lake
- Enjoy the picturesque landscapes in Dolphin’s nose
- Fun filled picnic with family and friends in Bryant Park
- Night safari into the forests of Kodaikanal will be thrilling
- Trekking while enjoying the scenic landscapes in Kodaikanal
- Enjoy the mind-boggling sight of Kukkal caves
- Try the fascinating Bottle Boomerang challenge in Caps Valley Viewpoint
- Revel in the wilderness of Pine forests
- A perfect haunt for birdwatchers- Berijam Lake
- Hiking – once in a lifetime opportunity in Pillar Rocks
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Coorg – Scotland of South
Referred to as the Scotland of South by the British, Coorg is definitely the place not less than a paradise. It is one place where the green of the flora soars high and get mixed with the white and grey. The most amazing part is the song filled morning that truly enthrals the tourists.
Coorg is the largest producer of coffee in India. The vibes of Coorg is unique as it the only place in South India with a Tibetan settlement. Majestic hills covered with emerald green forests, misty landscapes, mesmerizing coffee plantations, beautiful tea gardens, orange groves and beautiful resorts for stay makes Coorg one of the best places to explore in South India.
Top Things to Do in Coorg
- Spine -chilling Pool walk, Wobbling bridge walk, in the misty rainforests of Coorg.
- Blissful Rapelling at Chelavara waterfalls
- Mind boggling Experience of Micro flight flying experience is calling you in Coorg
- Scenic heritage tour in Madikeri Fort
- Quad biking, Hiking and trekking would be a once in a life time experience in Coorg
- What about the blissful sight of Majestic Asiatic Elephants in Dubare Elephant Camp?
- Fishing at Kaveri River will sooth your heart
- River rafting at Barapole River and Jeep safari in Kabbi hills are the most thrilling activities in Coorg
- Nature walks in the coffee plantations is one of the best things to do in Coorg.
Also Check out: 2 Nights 3 Days Weekend Tour Coorg
Coonoor – Crowning Glory of Nilgiri Hills
Coonoor is known for its picnic spots that go hand in hand with the tea gardens. It is considered as the second largest Hill Station of Nilgiri Hills. The lush flora doesn’t help in keeping track of time, while strolling through the hill station.
It is famous for its multitude of gardens that adore many species of flowers evergreen plants and trees.
The green slopes are the most captivating part of the hill stations as you could see many couple sitting, relaxing and engulfing the beauty of this hill station during their honeymoon vacation. It is one of the must visit hill stations in South India.
Coonoor is a heaven of cascading waterfalls, ravines and valleys. Coonoor houses a large variety of bird species like Pipits, Skylark, and Nilgiri Verditer which makes it a perfect destination for birdwatchers. Perhaps in the whole India there is no corner as pleasant as Coonoor. Serene Surroundings, delicious climate and picturesque scenery is a thing of bliss in Coonoor. This is why Coonoor is one of the best hill stations in south india for family vacation.
Coonoor offers ample opportunities to the tourists which makes sightseeing tour in South India more interesting.
Top Thing to Do in Coonor
- Scenic trekking trails in the hidden valley
- Blissful ride in Nilgiri Mountain Railways
- Revel in the historical vibes of Droog Fort
- Funfilled and memorable family picnic in Sim’s Park
- Hiking and Photography in the picturesque Law Falls
Also Check out: 2 Nights 3 Days Coonoor Weekend Tour from Bangalore
Devikulam – Visit to the Sacred Bliss
Devikulam is one of the most beautiful offbeat destinations of Kerala. The presence of a sacred lake – Sita Devi is the main attraction; it has abundance of minerals in its water.
It is believed that wife of Lord Rama Devi Sita took bath in Devikulam Lake which makes it one of the most sacred pilgrimage places in South India.
The lake is said to have gained curative powers due to the Divine touch of Devi Sita. Forest clad mini hills, cascading waterfalls, majestic mountains, emerald green plantations and cool weather makes Devikulam one of the most popular Hill Stations in South India.
The hill station is bio diversity rich, and being close to many popular hill stations like Munnar, it offers many sightseeing options than any other hill stations in Kerala.
Top Things to Do in Devikulam
- Devi Lake – Serene Waters of the Sacred
- Thoovanam Falls- Rejuvenating magical waterfalls
- Mattupetty Dam- Embrace the divine calmness
- Meesapulimala – Trekking trails for adventure seekers
- Keezharkuthu Falls- Perfect haunt for photography and adventure lovers
- Tea and spice plantations – Lush green heaven
Also Read: Popular Hill Destinations in Kerala
Araku Valley – Valley of Tranquillity
Araku Valley is the most magnificent location in Andhra Pradesh. The mesmerizing serene valley comprises of many hills, undulating meadows, pompous orchards, which adds to the pleasant weather that prevails all year round. It is one of the best hill stations in south India to enjoy with family and friends.
It is compulsory to carry a picnic box, as it enhances the pleasure while unfolding the countryside. The famous limestone Borra caves provide a new side of nature. Buying old silver from tribal surely promises a reminiscent memory. Araku valley is a heaven for adventure seekers.
In winters Araku valley’s temperature goes down to about 5 degree Celsius but still tourists can enjoy the thrill of trekking and wildlife safari in Araku Valley.
Top Things to Do in Araku valley
- Borra Caves – Architectural Marvel and an offbeat destination of South India
- Dumbriguda Waterfalls- Ideal place to revel in the scenic landscapes
- Padmapuram Botanical Garden- Sights of rare flowers and trees
- Tribal Museum Araku- Culture and Traditions of Araku Valley
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Yercaud – Perfect Summer Getaway
Yercaud is one of the most popular hill stations of South India, located in Tamil Nadu. It is famous for its unique topography that completely sweeps you of your feet.
The hill station in based in the Shevaroy Hills of Eastern Ghats and it is one of the best romantic getaways of South India.
The place is filled with the lakes, waterfalls, parks and many colonial buildings. The temperature never exceeds above 30 degrees; although the adjoining areas of the hill station are hot and dry. The couples enjoy the breathtaking vistas with occasional drizzling.
Exquisite beauty, cool weather, lush green fields and verdant forests makes Yercaud a perfect escape for a rejuvenating and reviving holiday in South India. One can enjoy scenic landscapes in the background while boating on the tranquil waters of Yercaud Lake.
In the month of May every year the summer festival is celebrated with great pomp. This hill station is a great producer of for black pepper, coffee, orange, jackfruit and guava. Oak, teak and sandalwood trees are in abundance in Yercaud which is a fascinating sight to behold.
Top Tourist Attractions in Yercaud
- Rose Garden – A piece of Heaven
- Kottachedu Teak Forest- Nature walks in Alluring greens
- Shevaroy Hills- Scenic Majestic Mountain
- Kurumbapatti Zoological Park- Sights of varied species of animals and birds
- Annamalaiyar Temple- Revel in the spiritual whirlwind and scenic views
- Deer Park – A land of rich biodiversity
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Ananthagiri Hills – Chill and Grill Vibes of Serene Landscape
Apart from being one of the only three hill stations in Andhra Pradesh, Ananthagiri Hills provide the vista of hills joshing with the clouds. It is one of the best holiday destinations for summer in South India and one of the pollution free hill stations of India. Rich in minerals and salubrious environment, it vouches for captivating landscape that just ceases everything and enchants a melody of bliss on the tourists.
Song filled mornings, light and dark green shades of coffee plantations, soul soothing chirping of birds and scenic sights of Musi River are some of the best things to experience in and around Ananthagiri Hills.
Top Things to Do in Ananthagiri Hills
- Ananthagiri Temple- Sooth your eyes to the sight divine
- Ananthagiri Hills viewpoint – Mesmerizing views of Nature
- Tyda Park – Breathe in the wilderness with birds and animals
- Kotipally Reservoir- Great place for boating, kayaking and camping
- Bhavanasi Lake- Dive deep into the sacred waters of Bhavanasi Lake
- Coffee plantations- Great place for a peaceful nature walk
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Kotagiri – Nature’s Blessing
The ultimate destination for the wanderlust struck duet, Kotagiri is the oldest hill station of the Nilgiri trio Ooty, Coonoor and Kotagiri.
Its weather is incomparable and environment is salubrious. It is one of the best winter destinations of South India. The evergreen Longwood Forest is one of a kind refuge for anyone who wants a little seizure of stillness and natural splendour.
The brilliance nature walk is better explained by visiting this marvel of nature in the Blue Mountains. Exploring South India would be incomplete without visiting Kotagiri. Kotagiri is surrounded by beautiful tea estates and mesmerizing landscapes. It is one of the perfect destinations to do adventure activities like trekking and rock climbing.
Top Things to Do in Kotagiri
- Trekking in Kodanad, Catherine falls and Longwood shola
- Rangaswamy Peak- Serenity of this majestic peak will blow your heart away
- Kodanad Viewpoint- scenic pleasures for solace seekers
- John Sullivan Memorial- Revel in the memories of the father of tea plantations in Nilgiri Hills
Kudremukh- Abode of Peace
Mother Nature has her own ways to make people appreciate. Kudremukh is a horse face shaped peak that is located in the Chikkamagaluru district in Karnataka.
The rolling mountains, pristine rivers and lakes mesmerize the visitors. It is laden with ores and rich bio diversity, which is hard to find.
Away from the mishmash of the concrete and smog, this destination will definitely enchant a tune that triggers a never-ending connection. Meant not only for the honeymooners, but for nature enthusiasts as well, it is a must visit destination during your South India tour.
Top Things to Do in and around Kudremukh
- Kudremukh National Park – Great place for wildlife enthusiasts
- Kudremukh Peak – Paradise for trekkers
- Hanuman Gundi Falls- Fall for the nature’s beauty gushing down from the height of more than 100 feet
- Lakya Dam- Scenic beauty of evergreen Shoal forests and hilly landscapes
- Gangamoola- Origin point of Three important rivers Tunga, Bhadra and Nethravati
- Jamalabad Fort – Tipu Sultan’s masterpiece
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Nandi Hills – Hills of Happiness
Nandi hills also known as ‘Hill of Happiness’ nestled in Karnataka. It is flooded with lot of tourists all round the year. Nandi has many myths and legends related to its name.
It is one place near Bangalore that provides the ultimate silence one needs to ignite the spark in his or her new life. It is one of the best places to explore in South India.
Filled with many view points, forts and fortress that hold historic value, the hill station is surely a delight to the eyes. Witnessing the breathtaking sunrise from above the clouds in the morning is one of the best things to do in Nandi Hills.
Top Things to Do in Nandi Hills
- Tipu’s drop- For stunning views of the town
- Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple- Must visit to see one of the oldest temples of Karnataka
- Tipu’s summer residence- Must see the exquisite wood carvings and painted walls
- Brahmashram- Peaceful cave to refresh your mind, body and soul
- Amrita Sarovar – Lake of Nectar
- Cycling Adventure- Cycling on the spectacular landscape of Nandi Hills
- Paragliding- Don’t forget to do paragliding in the scenic landscape of Nandi Hills
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Ponmudi – Perfect for the Bliss of Togetherness
Illustrated as the Golden Peak of Kerala, Ponmudi finds its name in the list of one of the top honeymoon sites in South India.
Consisting of lavish tea estates, twisted trails, display of mountains and species of butterflies, it is one of the places you should jolt on your South India Tour.
The entire landscape is thrilling daunted with dense forests, waterfalls, and various trekking trails.
You might have seen a lot of these places while you spent your holidays in South India, but when you are in Ponmudi everything seems different. This place is a heaven sent blessing for nature lovers.
This enchanting landscape is famous for its mist covered hills. A large amount of rare flora and fauna is a fascinating sight to behold. Breathtaking views of Kallar River, Meenmutty waterfalls, Trekking trails of Varayadumotta are some of the best things to explore in Ponmudi.
Top Things to Do in Ponmudi
- Peppara Wildlife Sanctuary- Amazing wealth of flora and fauna
- Golden Valley- Fascinating sights of lush green valley, golden sand and soul soothing serene waters
- Trekking – Scenic trekking trails at Chinnappulle, Varayadumotta and Braemoor
- Mini Zoo- Amazing Barahsinghas will be a visual treat
Also Read: Best Waterfalls to Visit in Kerala
Yelagiri – The Best Summer Retreat
Yelagiri is one of the most beautiful hill stations in South India, located in Tamil Nadu. It is decked with eye catching orchards, rose gardens, lush green valleys and beautiful hills and misty mountains.
Swamimalai Hill is the main attraction of Yelagiri. It is the highest point in the village of Yelagiri. Summer festival celebrated by Tamil Nadu Tourism department in the village of Yelagiri makes it one of the best places to visit in summer on your South India Tour.
It is one of the favourite destinations for trekking, rock climbing, boating and Paragliding in South India.
Top Things to Do in Yelagiri
- Jalagamparai Falls- Sights of bliss after a 5 Km trek through Yelagiri Hills
- Velavan Murugan Temple – Spiritual Bliss on the greatest points of Yelagiri Mountains
- Government Herbal farm- Visit for rare Ayurvedic and Siddha herbs and plants
- Jalagandeeswarar Temple – Pilgrimage tour to this great Vijayanagara Masterpiece
- Yelagiri Association of Adventure Sports- Best place for rock climbing and paragliding
- Punganur Lake – Feel the bliss of Boating
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Sakleshpur – Scenic Landscapes and tranquil vibes
Located Sakleshpur is a land of mighty hills, emerald green plantations of cardamom, coffee, pepper and areca, pleasant climate, song filled mornings, enchanting waterfalls, canopied rainforests and picturesque landscapes. It is one of the best destinations to visit in South India. Sakleshpur got its name from a broken shivlingam which is believed to be found in this town during the reign of Hoysalas. It is one of the best places for trekkers and nature lovers on South India Tour.
The 600 years old temple of Sakleshwar on the bank of river Hemavathi is the main attraction of this enchanting place.
This hill station contains everything which should make life fun filled for tourists – Ages old Manjarabad fort for heritage lovers, Scenic landscapes for artist’s canvas, camping and trekking for adventure seekers and tranquillity and eternal peace for nature lovers. Sakleshpur is defiantly one of the must visit places in Karnataka tour.
Top Things to Do in Sakleshpur
- Bisle Viewpoint – Enchanting view of mountain ranges
- Sri Sakleshwar Swamy Temple- Embrace the gigantic Shiva Statue
- Manjehalli Waterfalls – Bliss of natural beauty
- Manjarabad Fort – Tipu Sultan’s Masterpiece
- Belur and Halebid- Ancient temple architecture of Halebid and Belur
- Jenukal Gudda – Trekking in the second highest peak in Karnataka
- Betta Byraveshwara – 600 centuries old stunning temple
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Agumbe – Paradise for Adventure & Wildlife Enthusiasts
Agumbe also known as Cherapunji of south is a beautiful village located in the thick rain forests of Western Ghats in Karnataka. It is one of the must visit places in Karnataka.
It receives rainfall around 8000mm. Agumbe is an ideal setting for nature lovers away from the chaos of city life.
Verdant rainforests, sparkling streams, little cascades, scenic views, buzzing insects, enchanting streams and sunset of Arabian Sea is a bliss to the toil weary soul.
The best time to visit Agumbe is post monsoon and winter as rain makes this place a blissful sight to behold. Agumbe is also known as cobra capital of India. Snakes of myraid size, colours and shapes are the main attraction of Agumbe.
Agumbe Rainforest Research Station was established in 2005 to study the endangered species of cobra.
One can also enjoy trekking, hiking rafting and bike riding to feel the thrill of adventure in Agumbe. Agumbe also houses beautiful species of butterflies like Blue Mormon, Southern birdwing birds like Malabar Trogon and Bulbuls to make your sightseeing in South India Blissful. Agumbe is a perfect destination for wildlife enthusiasts and nature lovers.
Top Things to Do in Agumbe
- Sunset point – Watch beautiful sunsets and the blissful Arabian Sea
- Gopalakrishna Temple – Breathtaking 14th century temple of Hoysala period
- Barkhana Falls- Trek to Barkhana Falls through the enchanting rainforest
- Jogi Gundi Falls- Here water falls from a cave
- Kundadri Hills- Trek to visit the Jain Temple and two amazing Ponds
- Rainforest Research Station- Know about the endangered species of cobra
- Someshwara Wildlife Sanctuary- Perfect for wildlife enthusiasts
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Nagari Hills – Delightful and Soothing to the Eyes
It is difficult to do justice to the beauty of Nagari Hills in the scope of this blog post. Nagari Hills is one of the most beautiful hill stations of South India located in the Chittoor region of Andhra Pradesh. Kushasthali River, Cascading waterfalls, untouched forests make it a beautiful destination for adventure activities like trekking, camping and hiking.
In Nagari Hills, the nature is all in her fairest moods. The deep blue sky enhanced by the radiant masses of white cloud is a beautiful sight to behold. The muffled roar of water in waterfalls and delightfully cool weather is a best way to escape the dry sunny atmosphere of cities. It is one of the most popular summer destinations to visit in South India.
Top Tourist Attractions in and around Nagari Hills
- Kailasakona Waterfalls- Mesmerizing waterfalls along with the spiritual trail to Shri Kalahasti Temple
- Gudimallam Sri Parasurameswara – Ancient temple dates back to 2nd century BC
- Koundinya Wildlife Sanctuary- Only Sanctuary with a population of Asian Elephants
- Sri Veda Narayanaswami Temple – Soul Soothing divine temple of Lord Venkateshwara
Also Read: Exploring the Gems of Southern India With Luxury Trains
Horsley Hills – Hills Where Your Soul Echoes for Eternal Peace
Horsley Hills is one of the most scenic places in South India. It is 4312 ft above sea level. Horsley Hills is an illimitable domain of eternal bliss.
The beautiful path of Horsley Hills descends to the beautiful trees Eucalyptus, Silver Oak, Mahogany, Coffee, Gulmohar, Red Sanders and Sandalwood.
The area is also rich in Fauna. Panther, Sambars, Boars, Jungle Fowls, Antelopes and Porcupines is a fascinating sight to behold. Migratory birds like Red throated fly catcher, Montagu’s Harrier, Blue headed rock thrush and ultra marine fly catcher will welcome you with loving heart.
Horsley is a perfect destination for nature and wildlife enthusiasts in South India. Tranquillity and eternal peace are some of the most important features of this mesmerizing Hill station.
It is one of the most popular romantic getaways of South India. Soothing clouds dancing in the sky and misty foggy greens has been luring the tourists for ages and it will continue to do so because of its natural beauty. It is one of the best summer holiday destinations in South India.
Top Tourist Attractions in and around Horsley Hills
- Horsley Hills Zoo – Perfect place for wildlife enthusiasts
- Chennakesava Temple- Exquisite architecture and spiritual bliss for the divinely inspired travellers
- Mallamma Temple- Temple for the mysterious girl named Mallamma who disappeared in the folds of time without leaving any sign of existence
- Galibanda- Land of beautiful sunrise and mesmerizing sunsets
- Kalyani Tree- 162 year old Enchanted Eucalyptus tree planted in 1859
- Thimmamma Marrimanu- Scenic sights of the largest numebr of Banyan Trees
- Gangotri Lake – Listen to the music of tranquil waters
Also Read: 20 Offbeat Hill Stations in India to Visit This Summer
Anaimalai Hills – Serenity in The Misty Peaks
Nestled in the Western Ghats of Tamil Nadu, lies the picturesque Anaimalai Hills – a stunning destination that boasts of a stunning blend of natural beauty and rich cultural heritage. As you journey through the winding roads of this scenic paradise, you will be awestruck by the enchanting vistas that surround you.
The lush green hills dotted with tea and coffee plantations, the glistening waterfalls that cascade down the rocks, the dense forests teeming with exotic flora and fauna – all come together to create an ethereal experience that is truly unparalleled. Take a deep breath of the fresh mountain air, and let the tranquillity of the surrounding nature envelope you in a sense of serenity.
But Anaimalai Hills is not just about its breathtaking landscapes. It is also home to a vibrant tribal community that has a rich cultural heritage. You can immerse yourself in their way of life by visiting their homes, sampling their traditional cuisine, and learning about their unique customs and traditions.
For adventure seekers, Anaimalai Hills has plenty to offer too. You can indulge in activities like trekking, camping, rock climbing, and bird watching. The hill station is also home to several wildlife sanctuaries, where you can spot a variety of rare and endangered species of animals and birds.
As the day draws to a close, sit back and watch the sun dip below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the hills. And as the stars twinkle above you, take in the peaceful stillness that fills the air – a moment that will stay etched in your memory forever.
Top Things to Do in Anaimalai Hills
- Malakkapara View Point – Enchanting views of greeneries
- Monkey Falls – Wonderful views of waterfall and surrounding vegetation
- Tea Estate Garden – Soothing views of verdant gardens
- Kolika Muthi Elephant Camp – Fun of watching elephants at the camp
- Parambikulam Tiger Reserve – Exploring wildlife in the forest
- TopSlip – Enjoying pleasant nature with dear ones
Valparai – Journey amidst The Connected Hills
Valparai is a serene hill station tucked away in the picturesque district of Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. It is a place that will leave you spellbound with its lush greenery, misty hills, and tranquil atmosphere.
As you make your way to Valparai, you will be greeted by the refreshing scent of tea leaves, for the town is surrounded by tea plantations that stretch as far as the eye can see. The gentle slopes of the hills are covered with dense forests that are home to a diverse range of flora and fauna.
One of the highlights of Valparai is its pleasant climate, which offers respite from the scorching heat of the plains. You can spend your days exploring the town’s many attractions, such as the Aliyar Dam, which offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys, or the Sholayar Dam, which is one of the highest in Asia.
For those who love adventure, there are plenty of opportunities to go trekking, camping, and hiking in the hills. The town also has several wildlife sanctuaries, where you can spot animals like elephants, tigers, and leopards in their natural habitats.
Top Things to Do in Valparai
- Nallamudi Viewpoint – Watching the splendid views of the hills
- Karumalai Balaji Temple – Seek blessings at a beautiful temple
- Chinnakallar Falls – Sightseeing to a stunning waterfall
- Grass Hills – Visiting a combination of high peaks and plateaus
- Kuzhankal River View – Picnic at a riverside viewpoint
Thekkady – Wonderful Wildlife and Its Beauty
Thekkady, located in the Idukki district of Kerala, is a popular hill station known for its picturesque beauty and exotic wildlife. Thekkady is also famous for its spice plantations, which attract a large number of visitors from all over the world.
One of the main attractions of Thekkady is the Periyar National Park, which is home to a variety of wild animals such as elephants, tigers, leopards, and sambars. The park offers a unique opportunity for visitors to go on jungle safaris, where they can spot these animals in their natural habitat. The boat ride on the Periyar Lake is also a must-do activity, where you can witness the breathtaking beauty of the forest and its surroundings.
Another popular attraction in Thekkady is the spice plantations, which give visitors an insight into the cultivation and processing of various spices such as cardamom, pepper, and cinnamon. Visitors can also buy authentic spices from the local markets.
Top Things to Do in Thekkady
- Periyar National Park – Spot the animals
- Mangla Devi Temple – Seek blessings for well-being
- Kumily – Relax amidst nature
- Thekkady Lake – Boat ride to explore the surroundings
- Periyar Lake – Fun of doing water activities
- Kadathanadan Kalari Centre – To know the culture
Athirapally – To Witness Kerala’s Largest Waterfall
Enveloped in the Western Ghats of Kerala, Athirapally is a picturesque hill station that offers a perfect blend of nature and tranquillity. Known for its lush greenery, sparkling waterfalls, and rich wildlife, this hill station is a popular destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts alike.
One of the most popular attractions in Athirapally is the Athirapally Waterfall, which is the largest waterfall in Kerala. Surrounded by dense forests, the waterfall offers a breathtaking view that is sure to leave you mesmerised. Another must-visit spot is the Vazhachal Waterfalls, which is located just a few kilometres away from Athirapally. The Vazhachal Waterfalls is a series of cascading waterfalls that offers a stunning sight to behold.
If you are looking for an adrenaline rush, Athirapally also offers several adventure activities such as trekking, rock climbing, and rappelling. The hill station also has several scenic hiking trails that offer stunning views of the surrounding landscapes.
Top Things to Do in Athirapally
- Athirapally Waterfalls – Witness the magical splash of water
- Vazhachal Waterfalls – Watch the gorgeous views
- Charpa Waterfalls – Enjoy watching the seven steps of water falling down
- Thumboormuzhi Dam – Spot 148 varieties of butterflies in the Butterfly Garden
- Silver Storm Water Theme Park – Spend time with family and kids
Chikmagalur – A Hill Station with Coffee Estates
Chikmagalur, nestled amidst the serene Western Ghats in Karnataka, is a tranquil hill station that offers a mesmerising escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Surrounded by lush green valleys, misty hills, and cascading waterfalls, Chikmagalur is truly a paradise for nature lovers.
The air here is crisp and refreshing, with a cool climate that provides a perfect respite from the scorching heat of the plains. The town is also renowned for its coffee plantations, and visitors can take a walk amidst the sprawling estates, savouring the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and getting a glimpse of the cultivation process.
For those seeking adventure, Chikmagalur offers an array of activities, from trekking to camping, rock climbing, and even whitewater rafting. The rugged terrain and verdant forests create an ideal setting for adrenaline-pumping escapades.
Top Things to Do in Chikmagalur
- Kudremukh – Trek to the highest peak in Karnataka
- Kyatanamakki Hill – Enjoy camping in the lap of nature
- Bhadra River – For a thrilling river rafting
- Hebbe Falls – Catch a mesmerising sight of Hebbe Falls
- Coffee Plantations – Explore and learn coffee making
- Jhari Falls – An offbeat jeep ride to Jhari Fall
Peermade – Peaceful Retreat for toil –weary soul
Peermade is one of the most popular hill stations in Kerala. It is a beautiful plantation town. Peermade has been for many years a pleasure sight for tourists.
Situated at a height of 915m this hill tract is decked with scenic landscapes, amazing trekking trails and cool weather. It is a great resting place for nature lovers away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Cascading waterfalls, emerald green plantations and continuous ring of mists on hilltops blows your heart away.
This place has taken the name from a Muslim saint – Peer Mohammad. He is believed to be the first spice trader of this region. The lay of the surrounding hills and trees, sweet birds in fleets migrating by, rustling of the leaves which is a constant music of bliss is a thing of beauty joy forever in Peermade. It is a best hill station in Southern India for family vacation. There is no need to look forward to any land of paradise; the charm of Peermade is much more powerful than any other destinations in South India.
Top Tourist Attractions in Peermade
- Kuttikanam – Best for amazing Trekking trails
- Summer Palace- Royal summer residence of Trivancore family
- Peeru Hills- Great Picnic spot along with Trekking Opportunities
- Amritha Medu- This place is popular for Good Friday gathering and Trekking
- Panchalikulam Pond- Named after Panchali, wife of pandava who used to bath on this pond
- Madammakkulam Waterfall- Best for nature Photography
The mesmerising hilly regions of South India provide a great opportunity to tune into the rhythm of song filled mornings, picturesque landscapes and feel the tranquil environment away from the chaos of city life with family and friends. These are some of those places that will turn your holidays into a rejuvenating trip in the lap of nature. If you have already visited one of these places or want to visit one, share your thoughts in the comment section below. We are thrilled to listen to your travel stories!
Other Interesting Blogs to Read
Like & Follow our social media accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin & Instagram for getting the latest updates & offers on holiday packages.
Disclaimer: We do not take credit for some of the licenced paid images used in our blogs, whether from Google Images, Fotolia & Shutterstock. All such images are the copyrights of their respective owners and we try to provide credit for them wherever we can. If, however, any copyright image has been used on our blog, the concerned person can either mail us directly to remove the image or provide credit to whomsoever the image may belong to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.What is the coolest Hill Station of South India?
South India is blessed with many beautiful Hill Stations. Tourists who want enjoy the bliss of cool weather and scenic surroundings, should visit Kodaikanal.
Kodaikanal is the coolest Hill Station of South India. The contrast of the heat in the cities with the blissful coolness of the mountains in Kodaikanal makes it a best summer getaway in South India.
Q.I want to enjoy the thrill and excitement of adventure in South India, what adventure activities should I do to make my Holidays in South India blissful?
South India is a heaven for adventure seekers. It offers the thrill and excitement of many adventure sports to the tourists. Some of them are –
- Rock climbing
- Jungle Patrol and Wildlife Safari
- Banana Boat Ride
- Speed boating
Q.How many days are enough for me to explore South India Completely?
If you are planning a trip for only one week then you will feel overwhelmed as one cannot do justice to the beauty of South India in a week. At least 15-20 days are necessary to explore South India.
South India is a heaven-sent blessing for those who want to enjoy vacation with family and friends. In South India there are places to suit every traveller. The number of days to explore South India totally depends on the traveller. If you want to enjoy the blissful backwaters and beaches and tropical forests then Kerala is the place to be in. If you want enjoy the scenic surroundings in the lap of nature and do some adventure activities then you can choose from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and eastern side of Kerala.
Q.Is travelling solo safe in South India for females?
Safety is the most important cause of concern when it comes to solo travelling. One needs to stay alert and look confident while travelling alone. Most of the places in South India are Women friendly. It’s not about safe or unsafe destinations. The only safety measure one needs to follow is self-awareness as anything can happen anywhere. Trust your instincts.
Q.What are some top things to know for travelling South India?
Some Travel Tips For travelling to South India are-
- South India is Huge; you may get overwhelmed if your Itinerary is not planned in advanced. So, always plan your Itinerary in advance.
- Make sure that the climate is favorable to explore South India.
- If you are travelling in any remote area then always keep a basic first aid kit with you. In remote locations, it is difficult to find medical services.
- Always wear covered dress while exploring any sacred place or Temples in India. There is no particular dress code to visit temples but a decent dress is enough to maintain the decorum of the sacred place.
- Travel insurance is necessary before travelling. It will cover your emergency evacuation.
- Kerala and Karnataka have highest rates of Dengue during Monsoon. It is important to carry mosquito nets or repellents for safety.
About the author
She is a candle who burns and melts in the chaos of infinity, from where her visceral whistles and leaves an imprint of desire in her heart to know the map of an Island where there are different sunrises and sunsets. Her curiosity brightens to conquer the hearts unrelieved and sometimes mysterious. Her name is - Pallavi Roy - A traveller by soul and a writer by Profession.