Kerala is the crowning glory of India’s grandeur. It is one of the top travel destinations of India. Kerala is sublimely beautiful. It will take you back in time, from the magnificent heritage sites to the timeless to and fro of Kerala’s backwaters. It’s a ‘thing of beauty joy forever’. Picturesque and enchanting Kerala is cradled high in rich cultural heritage and flora and fauna. You can revel in the charms of its temple’s architecture which is the height of imperial grandeur.
Connect with God’s soul in the god’s own country through awesome natural beauty of Beaches, Forests and mountains as they sing the songs of tranquillity and eternal joy. Take time to feast on the fabulous cuisines because food of Kerala is renowned across the world. If you want to connect with the region’s soul then you must plan a trip to Kerala. Here is our list of Top 12 destinations in Kerala for once in a lifetime experience.
List of Best 15 Must Tourist Places in Kerala, South India
Recommended Kerala Tour Packages
Queen of Arabian Sea Kochi
Past splendours and contemporary style make Kochi Kerala’s one of the most engaging cities. Travellers vanished into the mist of time used to call Kochi ‘Cocym’.
Connect with Kochi’s heart through its backwater villages, small cafes, Dutch mansions, Raj-era bungalows, Elephant training camp, Bird sanctuary and waterfalls.
If you want to escape the city rush, then disappear to the most beautiful Beaches and peaceful rural Buddhist sites.
At Marine Drive, you will be lured by the spectacular view of lights reflected in water from the ships anchored in the harbour at night. One of the major attractions in Kochi is watching the Chinese fishing nets in action on the promenade. Not only that If you visit SNC Maritime museum, the star attraction is the 300 years old boat belonging to the Raja of Ambalapuzha.
Kochi also houses India’s first European church – St Francis Church. It is the original burial spot of the great Portuguese explorer Vasco De Gama. And the best from the rest is the melodious rhythm of the Athirapally Waterfalls never ceases to give a blissful experience. Visiting Kerala would be incomplete without viewing the breathtaking cosmopolitan legacy of Kochi.
Popular Tourist Attractions in and around Kochi
- Bolgatty Island – It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kochi. Bolgatty Island was built by an anonymous Dutch trader in 1744. You can reach here via Goshree Bridge.
- Mattancherry- This place has an historical vibe. It is a home to the oldest synagogue in the country. Jewish community dates back to 2000 years lives here. Mattancherry is an epicentre of spice, local handicrafts, culture and lip smacking food. The main attraction of Mattancherry is Mattancherry Palace which is also known as Dutch palace which is a masterpiece of Colonial and Kerala style architecture. It is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Kochi.
- Princess Street – Princess Street in Kochi is one of the most popular points of tourist interest in Kerala. It still retains its old world charm which never ceases to attract tourist. It is the oldest street of Kochi. The street gives the colonial vibes. Tourists are fascinated by the beauty of old European homes built in Dutch, French, Portuguese styles.
- Hill Palace Archaeological Museum – It is one of the must visit places in Kerala. It was built in 1865; it is Kerala’s first heritage museum. It was the official residence of the erstwhile rulers of Kochi. The museum showcases wooden memorials from Indus Valley civilization, murals, sculptures, displaying royal throne, picture of former rulers and Tanjore paintings.
- Thirumala Devaswom Temple- After the decline of the legendary Vijayanagar Empire, Gowda Saraswat Brahmins built the temple in 1599 to worship Sri VenkataChalapati Thirumala Devar Idol. – It is one of the must visit places in Kerala.
- Vypin – This is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kerala. Vypin Island connects Kochi with Goshree bridges touching two other islands Mulavukadu and Vallarpadam. Boating in Vypin Island is one of the top things to do in Kochi. Paddy fields, Backwaters, Coconut groves and Dolphins in waters are the mesmerising sight to behold.
Also Check out: Popular Weekend Getaways from Kochi
Alappuzha – Delightful Venice of the East
No doubt one can have ‘memories or fun longer than the road that stretches out ahead’ in Alappuzha. Alappuzha is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kerala.
Close down the sounds of all the cities and you will hear melodious chirping of rare avian species, coming from places like Siberia in Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary. It is a paradise of bird watchers as various species of birds like Little Cormorant, Indian Darter, White Ibis, Kingfishers and many more. Boating to watch the migratory birds is one of the top things to do in Alappuzha.
Don’t miss the wondrous and warm island of Pathiramanal which can only be accessible by Boat. It is one of the offbeat tourist destinations in Kerala.
Visit the mysterious yet delightful Krishnapuram Palace which was once the residence of the rulers of Kayamkulam Kingdom. It houses the 49sq km Gajendra Moksham which is the largest single band of Mural paintings discovered in Kerala. Exquisite display of Bronze sculptures, Paintings, beautiful gardens and the recently discovered Buddha Mandapam makes it one of the most popular tourist attractions in Alappuzha.
Apart from that Kuttanad Backwaters, Alappuzha Lighthouse, Alappuzha Beach, Marari Beach are the most popular destinations in Alappuzha.
Top Things to Do in Alappuzha
- Houseboat Cruise– In a song filled morning, cruising in a houseboat on the backwaters is one of the top things to do in Alappuzha. Thrilling boat races, awesome backwater holidays, marine products, beautiful beaches are the main attractions in Alappuzha. Backwaters of Kuttanad are the best part of enjoying holidays in Kerala. As you navigate through the narrow canals, coconut palms, dense vegetation, paddy fields, churches and mosques will be an interesting sight to behold.
- Mullackal Road- Mullackal Road is the one of the most popular tourist places of interest in Alappuzha. It is a paradise for shoppers. One can find variety of spices, gold jewellery, bell metal and fishing equipments.
- Alappuzha Lakes- Tranquil waters of Punnamada and Vembanad will never cease to attract you. The easiest way to reach is the chartered diesel-powered motorboats. Holidaying is Kerala is incomplete without enjoying the bliss of Alappuzha Lakes.
- Mararikulam– Don’t forget to miss the north side of Alappuzha – Mararikulam. It is a fishing village. Holidays in Kerala would be blissful if you experience the simple lifestyle of traditional village of Mararikulam. Away from the chaos of city there is nothing so good for a traveller to rest in the lap of nature. Lotus ponds and coconut grooves are a mesmerizing site to behold.
Also Check out: 3 Nights 4 Days Alleppey Honeymoon Tour Package
Kollam – Kerala’s blissful heart
Kollam is one of the most visited destinations in Kerala. The grandeur of Kollam lured Phoenicians and Romans in ancient times because of its spice trade but now it is popular for its industries like fisheries, Cashew and nut processing.
It houses relics of the past and temples which are built in traditional ornate architectural style. This town has many traditional bazaars, narrow backstreets, rice stores, wooden houses and coir warehouses. If the chaos of the city overwhelms you too much then escape to the peaceful Kollam beach for a blissful experience.
The backwater houseboat rides from Kollam to Alappuzha is one of the top things to do in Kerala. DTPC offers backwater cruises from Kollam to Alappuzha. Munroe Island in Kollam is a must visit in Kerala. It is a cluster of 8 islands. Narrow waterways, canal cruise, serene setting, tranquil waters brings its own enchantment and the cool winds across the brine roam with a purpose to never find a home in your heart. Visiting Kollam would be a wonderful experience.
Kollam also offers mesmerizing sites old colonial era buildings.
Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Kollam are
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Police Museum– It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kollam. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Police Museum chronicles the history and development of the police force. There are various exhibits, guns, machines and police arms of 18thand 19th Martyr’s gallery is the centre of attraction which displays the fascinating history of Police force.
- Thangassery– It is also known as gold village. It houses the majestic Portuguese fort and churches of 18th Lighthouse road is the centre of attraction in which Thangassery Lighthouse stands still in pride, it is 144 ft high. You will be mesmerized by the beauty of sea. It also offers the opportunity to view beautiful sunset and the blissful moonlight. Holidaying in Kerala becomes blissful because of these scenic beauties.
- Thevally Palace– It is a marvellous piece of colonial architecture in the banks of beautiful Ashtamudi Lake. There is a temple of divine Lord Sastha inside the palace. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Kerala.
- Thiruvalla- It is one of the most popular places in Kerala. It houses Shree Vallabha Temple which is the only temple in Kerala, where Kathakali Dance is performed as a ritual offering.
- Jatayu’s Bird Center – You will be mesmerised by the beauty of the world’s largest Bird sculpture. This is Kerala’s First ever Build- operate –transfer (BOT) tourism. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kerala. Jatayu is the legendary bird mentioned in the Hindu epic Ramayana.
Apart from the above mentioned places Kollam Cave temple, Malamel Temple, Kollam Harbour and Kollam beach are some of the most popular tourist attractions for blissful holidays in Kerala.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Bekal – Offbeat gem of Kerala
Bekal is a place where your soul will open out her raven’s wings to fly. Your emotions will flow in tune with the calmness of pristine waterfalls. Crystal clear backwaters blow your heart away. 300 year old historical charm of Bekal fort is still intact.
Breathtaking views of sunset and thrilling opportunities for water sports and nature walks of Bekal makes holiday in Kerala awesome. Bekal is known for its unique granite idols, coconut products, and wood carvings.
Bekal is a heaven sent blessing for nature lovers. It is a gateway to enchanting locations like Kannur and Kozhikode. It is one of the offbeat tourist attractions in Kerala. Bekal is the perfect place to enjoy your holidays with family and friends.
One can escape the city chaos at serene backwaters of Valiyaparamba for a blissful boat ride at sunset and Beaches swaying with palm and coconut trees. Bekal is the perfect destination to indulge in yoga and meditation. Bekal also has some very good health retreats and spas to rejuvenate your soul and mind. If a peaceful and scenic setting is all what you want then Bekal is a must visit tourist destination in Kerala.
Some of the most popular destinations in Bekal are
- Bekal Beach Park – Away from the chaos of the city life, Bekal Beach Park offers serene surroundings, scenic views and peaceful vibes. With the breathtaking views of Bekal fort, Bekal Beach Park offers entertainment facilities to enjoy with family and friends. Tourists can enjoy local delicacies of Kerala here. It is one of the offbeat tourist destinations in Kerala.
- Kapil Beach – It is one of the offbeat destinations in Kerala. It is an isolated beach to enjoy peaceful and scenic setting with family and friends. Climb to the Kodi cliff if you want to watch the breathtaking sights of Arabian Sea. Rare sea shells, lush green coconut trees and nature walks will make your day.
- Ullal– It is known for its religious places. Peaceful vibes and gorgeous south Indian architecture will melt your heart. The tomb of Sufi saint Sayyed Madani, Somnatheshwara Temple, St Sebastian church and Ullal Jama Masjid are some major tourist attractions in Ullal.
- Hasdurg Fort- Holidays in Kerala would be more blissful if you visit Hosdurg Fort. It is popularly known as Kanhagarh fort. Karpooreshwar Temple is located right next to it. Hosdurg fort was built by Somashekara Nayak of Ikkeri dynasty. It also houses the internationally renowned spiritual centre Nithyanandashram.
Apart from the above-mentioned places Thalassery, Vliyaparamba backwaters, Malik deenar mosque, Malikarjuna temple, Krishna Menon Museum, Pazhassiraja Museum East Hill are some major tourist attractions in and around Bekal which will make your holidays in Kerala memorable.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Palakkad- Gateway of Kerala
Palakkad is a place where your thoughts find rest. Gentle plains, untouched waters and deep forests add to the charm of Palakkad. This place has a different vibe. Come home to the untouched plains; sooth your ears with the sound of rustling leaves in the wind; feel the bliss in the forests where the magnificent trees lift her leafy arms to welcome you and trail through the untouched waters if your soul needs peace.
Here you will find the pool of happiness that Palakkad’s beauty has made. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kerala. Picturesque Palakkad is cradled high in natural beauty and rich biodiversity. It is also known as the land of Palmyras and Paddy fields. It is set in the foot of Western Ghats on the borders of Kerala.
Some popular tourist attractions in Palakkad are
- Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary– It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kerala. This scenic landscape is rich in flora and fauna. It is a home of leopards, Indian elephants, fresh water crocodiles, birds like Bay Owl, Nilgiri wood pigeon and many others. It also has the first scientifically managed task plantation in the wood.
- Dhoni Falls- 12 km from Palakkad lies the peaceful retreat for nature lovers – Dhoni Village where the beauty of Dhoni falls has been luring tourist for ages. It’s a great picnic spot. Forest around the falls is a mesmerizing sight to behold. You can spot Elephant, tigers, deer and many other animals in the forest. It is one of the most visited tourist destinations in Kerala.
- Palakkad Fort – Haider Ali of Mysore in 1766 laid the foundation of Palakkad Fort. It is the most popular tourist destination in Palakkad. Temple of Lord Hanuman is located near the fort. There is a museum of archaeology inside the fort which displays some past relics.
- Malampuzha Gardens and Dam- It is located at the foot of Malampuzha Dam. It is a beautiful masterpiece made of Brocken pieces of bangles, tiles plastic cans and tins. It was designed by renowned artist Nek Chand.It is a perfect place to relax with your friends and family. Boating in the gardens of Malampuzha is a blissful experience. It is one of the most visited places in Kerala.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Idukki – Forest Paradise
Idukki is the crown of Kerala tourism. The charm of Idukki never ceases to attract the tourists. Half of Idukki is covered by forests. It is the perfect place to enjoy with family and friends away from the chaos of cities. Lush greenery, cascading waterfalls, lagoons, cliffs, serene rivers are the crowning glory of this spice garden of Kerala.
Scenic sights and lovely weather makes Idukki a beautiful haunting ground for photographers. Idukki is a heaven for adventure seekers. Bird watching, Trekking, wildlife tour, safaris, Canoeing, Paragliding, biking, camping, and bamboo rafting and hiking creates a vast natural playground for adventure seekers. Holidays in Kerala would be incomplete without visiting Idukki.
Top Tourist Attractions in Idukki are-
Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary – It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kerala. Idukki wildlife Sanctuary is surrounded by Idukki Arch Dam which is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kerala. One can enjoy boat rides here. Kuravan and Kurathi hill across which the dam was built is one of the most scenic sights to behold. Wild dogs, Bison, Sambar Deer, Jungle cats, Cobra, Viper, Jungle Fowl and many others in the sanctuary is a visual treat to the wildlife enthusiasts.
Hill View Park- It is one of the must visit places in Kerala. Idukki Arch Dam is located near it which provides wonderful opportunity of boating to enjoy picturesque views. Scenic views of Cheruthoni Dam, lush greenery and beautiful flowers will make your day. There is a small pond in the corner of the park which is famous for Pedal Boating.
Gavi – It is the most popular scenic and sublime destinations in Idduki. The Hill station of Gavi offers many adventure opportunities like Trekking, Off- Roading, Jungle Safari, Bird Watching and Camping to the adventure seekers. It is one of the leading eco- tourism centres in India according to Alistair International. This place is also famous for boating and tree house stay. It is one of the most visited tourist destinations in Kerala.
Mangala Devi Temple- In the dense forest of Periyar Tiger Reserve, Mangala Devi Temple stands still in pride for 1000 years. The temple is dedicated to Mangala Devi who is also known as Devi Kannaki. Local believe that this temple was built by the chera King Chenkuttuvan. It is one of the must visit places in Kerala.
Ramakkalnudu – Ramakkalnudu is the highest point in Idukki. It provides trekking opportunities to adventure seekers. Scenic landscapes along with picturesque views makes Ramakkalnudu the popular point of tourist interest in Kerala.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Wayanad – Sooth your eyes in the serenity of Wayanad
Located on the border of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, Wayanad is a part of a forest reserve rich in wildlife and spice plantations.
It is a paradise of a misty hills and enchanting rainforests. It is one of the most popular destinations in Kerala. Call it a nature Paradise where the day starts with the chirping of birds.
The gushing of streams is a fascinating site to behold. Majestic hilltops gaze in bliss. Lush green tea factories blow your heart away. This place is a perfect haunt for photographers.
Wayanad is decked with delightful flora and fauna. On the skies and the tree tops you will be mesmerized by the sights and sounds of rare birds.
An adventure on jeep safari and Bamboo rafting on the clean waters of Anoothupuzha is one of the top things to do in Wayanad. It is a perfect place to experience the bliss of adventure tourism in Kerala.
Top Tourist Attractions of Wayanad are –
Eddakal Caves- Eddakal Caves is one of the most popular destinations of Kerala. It is located 1200m above the sea level. It is believed that the caves are formed by the arrows of Luva and Kusha – Son of Lord Rama. Trekking through Ambakuttu Mala will lead you to the ancient charm of Eddakal Caves. It is popular for the cave paintings which is older than 6000 BC.
Pakshipathalam- It is one of the top travel destinations to enjoy your holidays in Kerala. It is a beautiful site of Wayanad which is 1700m above the sea level. Sights and sounds of emerald green forests, avian species and giant Malabar squirrels are visual treat for nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts. It is also a best place for overnight camping.
Neelimala- It is one of the best places to enjoy your holidays in Kerala with your family and friends. It is a picnic spot. Scenic views of Meenmutti waterfall, flowers and plants of all varieties are a fascinating sight to behold. It is also a popular spot for trekking. One can also capture picturesque views of Western Ghats.
Pookot Lake- Pookot is a must visit tourist destination in Kerala. It is 3 km from Vythiri town. This lake is surrounded by emerald green forests and misty hills. Tourists can enjoy the bliss of boating and shopping. It’s a great picnic spot to spend some quality time with family and friends. Sree Narayana Ashram is located near Pookot Lake to refresh your mind and soul.
Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary- It is ranked 8th in the list of world’s biodiversity hotspots. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kerala. Decked with hilly terrains and dense valleys, it’s a heaven for nature lovers. It is a part of Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. Asian Elephants, Stripped Necked Mongoose, Leopard Cats, Vulture and many more will be waiting to make your holidays in Kerala the best.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Thiruvananthapuram – Culture capital of Kerala
How can we miss Thiruvananthapuram from our travel list? Thiruvananthapuram epitomises real elegance in the form of historical monuments, museums, backwater stretches and rich cultural heritage.
Temples of Thiruvananthapuram area a must visit in Kerala to taste the serene drops of spirituality. Thiruvananthapuram is the most popular destination in Kerala for its water sports, Backwater stretches, Beaches, Temple trails and Ayurvedic health resorts and shopping zones. Adventure activities like Kayaking and Canoeing are the best things to do in Kerala.
Thiruvananthapuram also houses the world’s first magic theme park which is the best place to enjoy with friends and family.Visiting Kerala without enjoying the charms of Thiruvananthapuram would be an incomplete experience of fun and thrill
Some popular tourist attractions in Thiruvananthapuram are:
Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple- It is one of the top tourist destinations of Kerala. Dates back to 8th century Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple is the world’s richest temple. It is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It’s Dravidian and Keralian architecture has been luring the tourist for ages.
Akkulam Tourist Village- Akkulam Tourist Village is one of the most popular picnic spots to enjoy your holidays in Kerala with family and friends. It is located near Akkulam Lake. It is also one of the backwater destinations in Kerala. The bliss of boating, children’s park and swimming pool will make your day.
Sree Mahadeva Temple – Sree Mahadeva Temple is one of the must visit places in Kerala. It is an ancient temple of Lord Shiva which dates back to 14th century.
Kallar – Kallar is a best picnic spot to enjoy your holidays in Kerala. It is very popular for trekking and angling. Scenic views of Golden Valley and Meenmutti Waterfall and Kallar River are a mesmerizing sight to behold in Kallar.
Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium- It is officially known as Sagarika Marine Research Aquarium. It is the best place to know the mysteries of marine life. Variety of species like clown fish, eels, wrasses, seahorses, box fish and cow fish will be waiting to welcome the tourists in bliss.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Kottayam – Grandeur in Beauty
With enchanting Western Ghats on the east and the paddy fields of Kuttanad on the west, Kottayam located in central Kerala is an amalgamation of beauty with grandeur. Kottayam is also known as Akshara Nagari (City of letters) because it played a very important role in the development of print media and literature. The city is a hub of Rubber plantations. On your way to the sublime journey to Kerala, don’t forget to tune into the vibes of calmness in Kottayam.
Quaint rivulets, pristine paddy fields, brackish water lagoon is the heart of Kottayam tourism.
Some popular attractions in Kottayam are –
Drift wood Museum – Drift wood Museum is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kerala. It is the best place for an art lover. The museum houses unique art works made of waste materials. Sculptures made of driftwood deposited by the sea are the main attraction of this museum.
Poonjar Palace – It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kottayam. Sculptures in the walls of this palace depict warfare stories from Puranas. Extraordinary collection of antiques, palm leaf engravings, furniture, Natraj Statues, weapons is a fascinating sight to behold. Chuttuvillakku is a rock cut lamp carved out of the stone walls of the Sastha temple is the main attraction of this Palace.
Vembanard Lake – It is one of the top travel destinations in Kerala. Houseboat cruise is the one of the top things to do in Kerala. As you move through its narrow canals, small islands of Vembanard Lake, old bungalows, lush green landscapes will blow your heart away. It is also popular for boating and fishing.
Ilaveezha Poonchira – It is a beautiful hill station tucked between three hillocks Mankunnu, Kudayathoormala and Thanippara. You will be mesmerised by the beauty of gigantic hills. Trekking in these hillocks would be the most thrilling experience.
Also Read: Must Visit Places in 10 Days Trip to Kerala
Kumarakom – Magic in the tranquil Backwaters
Kumarakom is one of the top tourist destinations in Kerala. It is a blissful heaven for bird watchers. Sights and sounds of various types of Birds like Egrets, Darters, Herons, Teals, Waterfowls, Cuckoos and wild duck, Siberian stork will be a fascinating sight to behold. Houseboat cruise in the backwaters of Kumarakom is one of the top things to do in Kerala.
Dive deep into the mesmerizing beauty of the backwaters where Boating and fishing will give you immense pleasure. Kumarakom is popular for its houseboat cruise. Sightseeing from the houseboats in the backwaters of Kumarakom is the best way to enjoy your holidays in Kerala.
You will be teleported to a paradise of the mysterious mangrove forests, coconut palms, migratory birds and cluster of islands on the eastern banks of Vembanard Lake. Travelling to Kumarakom is one of the most top things to do in Kerala.
Some popular Destinations in Kumarakom are –
Subrahmanya Temple and Sree Dharma Sastha Temple- The pavilion of this temple is made out of a single stone. It is considered to be the first temple in Kumarakom, built by the orders of Vaddkkumkore 1800 years ago. Sree Dharma Sastha temple is believed to be 1200 years old. It is one of the must visit places in Kerala.
Aymanam – Aymanam is one of the most popular destinations in Kumarakom. This village is decked with scenic landscapes and heritage home stays. It is an ideal place to enjoy some quality time with your friends and family in the lap of nature away from the chaos of city life.
Kudamaloor – It is located on the banks of the tranquil river of Meenachali. Vasudevapuram Temple, Eeraveeswaram, Mahadeva temple and Muthiamma church are the major tourist spots in Kudamaloor. Calm vibes, rural ambiance and scenic beauty make Kudamaloor the best place to enjoy your holidays in Kerala.
Recommended Tour Packages
Munnar – Blissful Heaven of Kerala
Munnar is the crown of gorgeous Western Ghats. Emerald green landscapes, plantations, scenic sights and pristine waterfalls are the ‘thing of beauty joy forever’. It is one of the most popular destinations in Kerala. Munnar also houses the beautiful Neelkurinji flowers which bloom in every 12 years. Picturesque and enchanted valley of Munnar never ceases to attract tourist. It is cradled with rich flora and fauna.
If the chaos of the city overwhelms you then Munnar is the perfect destination to refresh your mind.
Some popular destinations in and around Munnar are –
Pothamedu – Pothamedu is a perfect destination to enjoy trekking and long nature walks. It also offers beautiful views of tea, coffee and cardamom plantations. It is one of the top places to visit in Munnar.
Devikulam – It is very popular for Sita Devi Lake. It is believed that Lord Rama’s wife Devi Sita took bath in the thermal water spring here. Tourists can enjoy the bliss of trout fishing. It is one of the most popular pilgrim places to visit in Munnar.
Attukal – located between Munnar and Pallivasal. It is one of the perfect destinations for trekking in Kerala. Scenic landscapes and mesmerizing waterfalls adds to the charm of Attukal which makes it a popular destination to enjoy your holidays in Kerala.
Rajamala – Visiting Kerala without enjoying the bliss of Rajamala would be an incomplete experience. It is a home to the endangered species of Nilgiri Tahr. Enjoying the wildlife along with scenic beauty of Rajamala. It is a perfect haunt for the photographers.
Also Check out:
Munnar Tourism Packages
Kozhikode – Elegance is in Simplicity
Kozhikode (Calicut) was once the most prosperous coastal city in the reign of Zamorin. In 1498 Kozhikode’s shores welcomed the great Portuguese explorer Vasco De Gama. Kozhikode’s charm lies in its simplicity.
Tharavadukal mansions (only few of them survived), Kozhikode beach, Palayam Market and Mohiudeen Masjid are some popular attractions in Kozhikode. Beauty of serene beaches, historical sites and rivers will elevate your experience to a different level. Holidays in Kerala is incomplete without witnessing the charms of Kozhikode.
Popular Tourist Attractions in Kozhikode
Kallayi – If you want to witness a breathtaking sunset Kallayi is the best place to be. It is a small village located in the bank of river Kallayi in Kozhikode. It was famous for timber trade in late nineteenth and early twentieth century.
Kozhikode Beach – It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kerala. It is a perfect place to enjoy some quality time with your friends and family. Kozhikode beach is popular for sea food, dolphins’ point, lion’s park and old lighthouse. Tune into the vibes of the serenity of Kozhikode beach.
Kokkayam Dam – Kokkayam Dam is very popular for boating and trekking. It is one of the offbeat destinations in Kerala. Small waterfalls and dense forests add to the charm of Kokkayam Dam. It is the best picnic spot to enjoy with family and friends.
Kadaluni Bird Sanctuary – It is the best spot to rejuvenate your mind and soul. Rare avian species, scenic islands, picturesque hills add to the charm of Kadaluni Bird Sanctuary. It is a heaven sent blessing for nature lovers. Kadaluni River flows through Arabian Sea are a mesmerizing sight to behold. It is a bird watchers paradise. Seagull, Odd Otter, sand pipers and many more birds blow your heart away. It is one of the most popular destinations in Kerala.
Also Check Out
Vagamon – Ode to the Grassy Hills
Let’s go to a place full of refreshing vibes, stunning grassy hills, cascading waterfalls, rose gardens, delightful tea estates, pine forests and awesome Spice plantations. Vagamon is a treasure trove of delightful vistas for nature lovers and honeymoon couples. Visiting here would overpower your senses completely. It is one of the best hill stations to visit in Kerala. Here nature will smile on you as the glimpse of breathtaking and soothing vistas of picturesque landscapes will be of unequalled loveliness. For adventure lovers it is a paradise. Adventure enthusiasts must indulge in thrilling activities like trekking, mountaineering, paragliding and rock climbing etc.
Top Things to Do in Vagamon
- Sightseeing – Explore the scenic wonders of this beautiful Hill Station called Vagamon where nature’s melodious rhythm will blow your heart away. Some of the best places to visit in Vagamon are – Marmala Waterfall, Kurisumala, Barren Hills, Thangal Para, Pine Hill and Murugan Mala etc.
- Adventure Activities- Soothe your adventurous soul by tasting the pleasure of thrill. Indulge in adventurous sports like Trekking, mountaineering, Rock climbing and Paragliding.
- Picnic Time – Picnic at Vagamon Lake and Vagamon Falls will be one of the most fun-filled activities to do here. The delightful vistas offered by this place are magical.
Other Interesting Blogs to Read
Thekkady – Fine Tune Your Spirit
When it comes to Thekkady, the images of hills, emerald spice plantations, and Majestic Elephants pop into mind. It houses verdant forests which are known by the name of Periyar forest and it is one of the most popular wildlife reserves of India. Its breathtaking backdrop will definitely fine tune your toil weary spirit. Bamboo Rafting, Boat Safari, Elephant Safari are some of the greatest delights this place has to offer. The natural wilderness of Thekkady is a place not less than a paradise.
Top Things to Do in Thekkady
- Boating – Boating at Periyar Lake is a must not miss tourist activity in Thekkady. The lush greenery and animals playing in the water is a sight to behold.
- Hiking and Bamboo Rafting – Taste the thrill of adventure by indulging in Hiking and Bamboo Rafting at Periyar wildlife Sanctuary. The deep dense forests are waiting for you.
- Mangala Devi Temple- Amidst Periyar wildlife Sanctuary, the divine Mangala Devi Temple will shower its divine grace to you. You must visit this serene temple.
- Trekking – Enchanting trekking trails to Gavi will make your day. Spend some time amidst the tranquil nature.
- Elephant Rides – The most exciting activity is an Elephant Ride in Periyar Tiger Reserve. Try it once, it’s a different experience.
Other Interesting Blogs to Read
Kasargod – Hidden Tranquility
Kasargod is a beautiful amalgamation of Different religions and cultures. Stunning Forts, lofty hills, verdant backwaters, temples and pristine beaches, it will never cease to surprise you with its immense beauty. It is decked with coir and handloom industries. Forts of Kasargod will give you the insights of its rich and glorious past. You will get multicultural experience here. People here speak 7 languages. It is one of the must visit destinations to visit in Kerala.
Top Things to Do in Kasargod
- Ananthapura Lake Temple – Visit this stunning temple surrounded by a beautiful Lake. It is said that there is a crocodile in a lake which protects the temple.
- Parappa Wildlife Sanctuary- Experience the exotic wildlife along with the soothing wilderness.
- Nileshwar -Visit Nileshwar for cultural experience in Kasargod.
- Valiyaparamba– Enchanting Backwaters will call you and you will not resist its charm.
- Manjeshwar – The pilgrimage Town of Kasargod will take you to serene temples and mosques.
- Shopping – Explore coir products, shell products and other unique artifacts to satisfy your shopper soul.
Other Important Kerala Tourism Links
Let us Find Out What to Expect in Different Seasons in Kerala
Expectations from Summer in Kerala
The summer season is different to the people coming to Kerala because it is different from other Indian states. The summer in Kerala starts from February with temperature up to 35-degree Celsius but compared to other Indian states it is cooler. Here the high ranges have cool and pleasing climate throughout the year. This time the pristine beaches and scenic landscapes of the Western Ghats will fine tune your spirit with refreshing vibes and healing touch of nature. Summer in Kerala is very popular for temple festivals. Between the months of February and March Attukal Pongala is celebrated which is one of the most popular temple festivals of Kerala. Women from all the states attend this festival at Thiruvananthapuram to pay their respect to goddess Kannaki.
During this time, Kerala pleases people with its lush greenery and backwater tourism. The houseboats are ready to take you to the scenic narrow canals and lush vegetation through pristine backwaters. Also try Sambharam, it is one of the most popular summer drinks of Kerala made of curd, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and lemon leaves. The culture and cuisine of Kerala offers variety to the tourist.
In the month of April Thrissur Pooram is celebrated with great pomp and this vibrant temple festival showcases the musical heritage of the state. Also, the festival of Vishu this time marks the new year for the people in Kerala. People celebrate this festival with lights and fire crackers.
May and June bring the bliss of Wildlife tourism in Kerala. Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary offers awesome Wildlife Safari, elephant ride, boat rides, jungle camping, trekking and nature walks. The rich flora and fauna of the country will take you to a different world where the silence of nature will sync with the calm rhythm of your heart.
Expectations from Monsoon in Kerala
Kerala, the god’s own country is different because you will see rain pitter patters throughout the year here. You will be amazed to know Kerala enjoys two monsoon seasons- Southwest Monsoon and Northeast monsoon. The main rainy season in Kerala starts from the month of June and ends in August. The month of June – August is a time for Southwest monsoon in Kerala which is known as Edavappathi.
During this time the natural vistas of Kerala resemble the garden of Eden. In the months of July and September, thrilling boat races at the backwaters of Kerala will take your breath away. Some of the most popular boat races are the Nehru Trophy Boat Race and Champakulam Moolam Boat Race and the most fascinating part of the race is the snake boat known as Chundan Vallams. The festive vibes of Onam is a must not miss if you are coming here in the months of August, it lasts till September. But this festival is the soul of Kerala, it is the most popular harvest festival of Kerala celebrated everywhere in the state with great zeal.
Also, the weather of Kerala is so soothing in monsoon that Ayurvedic massage is the best thing to enjoy to refresh your mind, body and soul. Honeymoon couples consider it the best time to visit in Kerala. The magical waterfalls flowed with all their might during this time, the hill stations of Kerala dipped in lush greenery. This is also the best time for a wonderful stay experience in traditional tree houses surrounded by soothing hills, valleys, waterfalls and lakes to become one with nature.
One must try Parippu Vada and hot cup of Tea, it is a must if you are enjoying the monsoon in Kerala. Apart from that some of the most popular monsoon snacks to enjoy in Kerala are Pazhampori, Arikadukka and Appam etc.
Expectations from Winter in Kerala
Winter season in Kerala starts from the end of November and ends in the middle of February. This season is ideal to enjoy the best of Kerala tourism. From misty hill stations, serene beaches, thrilling adventure activities, vibrant festivals and exotic wildlife. You can enjoy something of everything in Kerala during this time.
During winters, there is less rainfall in Kerala which makes it pleasant for sightseeing. The most prominent festivals Christmas and New Year keep the joy and enthusiasm intact throughout the year. These are the most popular festivals celebrated everywhere in Kerala in winter. The churches and markets of Kerala are decorated in a grand manner and people celebrate these festivals with great fervor.
Tourists from all across the globe enjoy houseboat cruise tours of Alleppey and Kumarakom during this time. The bliss of Yoga and Ayurvedic massage refreshes the toil- weary soul. This is also the best time to enjoy the beauty of emerald green Tea Estates of Munnar. Moreover, if you include the tour of the lush green paddy fields, coir manufacturing industries, coconut leaf weaving, fish and village markets, you will have one of the most memorable winter vacations in Kerala.
Exotic Wildlife Safaris in Kerala during winters is a must not miss. There are 16 wildlife sanctuaries in Kerala and 5 national parks which boast of exquisite flora and fauna. It’s time for a wonderful bird watching session as numerous winged visitors arrive in the state. You will behold greater flamingos, Pelicans, Black- tailed Godwit, Garganeys, Dendrocygna Javanica and Gulls etc. Also behold the beauty of Neelakurinji flowers which bloom every 12 years in Eravikulam. It is the best tourist place in Kerala to visit in Winters.
During winters try lip smacking winter delicious cuisines of Kerala like Malabar Biryani, Erachi Ularthiyathu, Thrissur Avial, Palada Payasam and Kozhi Porichathu etc.
Moreover, November to January in Kerala is filled with numerous exciting events and festivals which will make your Kerala Holiday tour one of the best tours ever. Some of the must not miss festivals and events to enjoy in Winters are Kanathur Nalvar Bhoothasthanam, Cochin Carnival, Perumthitta Tharavad Kottamkuzhy, Vasantholsavam Flower Festival, Adoor Gajamela. Kerala Utsavam Folklore Festival, Chittur Konganpada and Pariyanampetta Pooram etc.
Kerala Travel & Tourism Quick Information
||God’s Own Country
|Kerala is famous for
||Ecotourism and beautiful backwater tourism
|State Bird of Kerala
|State Animal of Kerala
|State Tree of Kerala
|State Flower of Kerala
||Golden Shower Tree (Kanikkonna)
|Kerala’s Famous Tourist Hill Stations
||Munnar, Wayanad, Idukki, Thekkady, Ranni, Gavi, Peermedu, Lakkidi, Silent Valley, Athirapally, Vithura etc.
|Kerala’s Famous Wildlife Sanctuaries
||Eravikulam National Park, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary and Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary etc.
|Kerala Famous Tourist laces
||Kochi, Alapphuzha, Bekal, Kollam, Munnar, Vagamon, Thekkady, Varkala, Kozhikode, Kasargod, Thrissur etc.
|Popular Ayurvedic Retreats in Kerala
||Mekosha Spa Suites, Somatheeram Ayurvedic health resort, Athreya Ayurvedic Resort, Kairali Ayurvedic Healing Village and Ayurveda Yoga Villa etc.
|Popular Beaches in Kerala
||Varkala, Marari, Kozhikode, Bekal, Cherai, Kovalam, Payyambalam, Beypore, Kolavipalam etc.
Other Interesting Blogs to Read
Complete Kerala Updated Tourist Holiday Travel Guide Blog 2022 | Tour My India
Like & Follow our social media accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin & Instagram for getting the latest updates & offers on holiday packages.
Disclaimer: We do not take credit for some of the licenced paid images used in our blogs, whether from Google Images, Fotolia & Shutterstock. All such images are the copyrights of their respective owners and we try to provide credit for them wherever we can. If, however, any copyright image has been used on our blog, the concerned person can either mail us directly to remove the image or provide credit to whomsoever the image may belong to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.If thrill, excitement and adventure is my call then what should I do in god’s own country – Kerala?
To experience the bliss of thrill, excitement and adventure apart from the scenic sights and lush green landscapes of God’s own country, you would like to indulge in some of the best adventure activities of Kerala-
- Wildlife safari
Q.I want to enjoy the blissful togetherness with my beloved along with the sublime landscapes of Kerala away from the chaos of the city for my Honeymoon. Where should I go?
If you would love to wander through Kerala’s hidden wilderness and scenic beauty with your beloved. You would definitely visit:
Published: 20 Mar, 2021 | Last Updated: 25 Feb, 2022