An ancient town and a sacred place in Madhya Pradesh, Shivpuri was earlier known as Sipri. A long holiday trip to Shivpuri will undoubtedly be very tremendous not only because of its lovely landscape, but also because of its various tourist attractions in the city. Its name derives from the Lord Shiva. The history of this place dates back to the Mughal period. The dense forests of Shivpuri were once the royal hunting grounds. Located at a height of 478 meters above sea level, the city is coupled with some of the most exotic attractions, which makes it a very peaceful destination for tourists.
As per the legend, the city named after Lord Shiva, served as the heaven of Kachhawaha Rajputs till 1804 and by and by it was ruled by Scindias. Also, it holds a historical importance to the pre-Independence times as it is the place where the great freedom fighter Tatya Tope was hanged till death.
Set amidst inclined hills and broadleaf forests, the forests of Shivpuri were formerly the hunting fields of the Mughal Emperors. A trip through the wilderness of its forest is very daring and adventurous. Whether you're on a leisure or adventure tour, you'll simply love the short journey amidst thrilling wildlife and historical places.
- Shivpuri is a nature getaway from Gwalior and Jhansi
- The beautiful city was once the summer capital of the Scindia rulers of Gwalior and its dense woods were the hunting grounds
- Shivpuri is a popular destination for birders and many tourists flock here to watch the huge species of birds.
Things to Do and See in Shivpuri
- Visit Madhav National Park that boasts off several species like the little Chinkara, the Indian gazelle, and the Chital, Nilgai, Sambar, Chausingha or four-horned Antelope, Blackbuck, Sloth Bear, Leopard and the omnipresent common Langur. Also, it's a home to species like the migratory geese, pintail, teal, mallard, pochard, and many more. So, come and explore the fauna of the parka and take some wonderful memories with you.
- Step into Chhatri and explore this popular monument that displays a perfect combination of Mughal and Hindu culture or you may take a leisurely walk in the Mughal garden that includes the royal tombs of the Scindias
- Go to see a place called Parihar which is a famous holy bathing place in Shivpuri district and take a dip here as it is believed that it washes off all the sins and wrongdoings of a person
- Explore Banganga an old temple in Shivpuri which is very popular for its 52 holy kunds
- Take a boat ride on Sakhya Sagar lake which is flanked by the Madhav National Park and enjoy the ride through the splendiferous water body
- Enjoy picnicking with your family members at Bhadaiya Kund where you can encounter a natural spring and the place is very famous for high mineral content. Enchanting here with loved ones especially during monsoon is a wonderful experience that one can ever have in their lifetime
Where to Stay
Shivpuri has numerous accommodation options ranging from mid-range hotels to budget hotels. All the hotels in Shivpuri offer a warm hospitality and comfy stay to all those coming to this charming and captivating town. Whether you are here for a leisure or business trip, these hotels will offer as per requirements in the best way.
Some of the popular in Shivpuri include:
- Hotel Green View Resort
- Tarun Residency
- Sanskar Residency
- Sonchiraiya Hotel
- Hotel Son Chiraya
- Camp Himalayan Gipsy
How to Reach
By Air: Gwalior Airport (Rajmata Vijaya Raje Scindia Air Terminal) is the nearest airdrome which takes 2 hours 48 minutes drive (125.6 Km) to reach the destination.
By Rail: Shivpuri has its own railhead which is well connected to other cities like Delhi (400 Km), Bhopal (300 Km), Indore (400 Km)\
By Road: Shivpuri connects several cities by road like Bhopal (300 Km), Delhi (400 Km), Indore (400 Km), Jhansi (100 Km), and many more.
Best Time to Visit: September to March