Laxmi Narayan Temple, Chamba
Built in the 10th century by Raja Sahil Verman, Laxmi Narayana Temple is the main shrine in Chamba that includes Bimana i.e. Shikhara and Garbhgriha with a small antarala and a mantapa. The temple has wooden chattries and a shell roof at the top to protect against snowfall. There is a wheel shaped roof that helps to protect from cold. It houses a metallic image of Garuda, the mount of Lord Vishnu. It's a beautiful place of great historical implication and architectural marvel. It has a mandapa like structure too. The entire area includes six temples in a row from north to south and is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Vishnu.
Laxmi Narayan Temple is one of the most popular temples of Chamba that is known for its great historical significance and architectural marvel. There are also other temples in the complex like Radha Krishna Temple- built by Rani Sarda (wife of Raja Jit Singh in 1825), Shiva Temple of Chandragupta- built by Sahil Varman and the Gauri Shankar Temple- built by Yugkar Varman (the son of Sahil Varman). There is a Garuda statue in metal watches over the main gate, which is placed by Raja Balabhadra Verma. The latest addition to the shrine in historical periods was in answer to the Mughal terror. Then Aurangzeb the emperor order to demolish the temple and the Raja Chhatra Singh included gilded elevations to the temple in the year 1678.
The history says that the idol of Lord Vishnu in this temple was made of a rare marble, which was imported from Vindhyachal Mountains. It is believed that the former king of the region- Sahil Varman had sacrificed his eight sons to get the marble and finally his eldest son namely Yugkara succeeded to acquire the marble. In fact, he was too attacked by the robbers but due to a saint, he had saved himself from robbers.
Laxmi Narayan Temple remains open from early 6 am to 12.30 pm and then from 2.30 pm to 8.30 pm. It remains open twice a day for the devotees in two halves.
Other Attractions in Chamba