St. John's Church Dalhousie
Address: Gandhi Chowk, Moti Tiba, Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh 176304
Built In: 1863
Timings: 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Open all days
Best Time to Visit: Dalhousie is a year round destination and has something to offer in every season.
A heady mix of beauty and history, the churches of Dalhousie are for some inexplicable reasons less explored. One of them is St. John's Church, which holds a historical significance of being the first Church to be built here. Located bang in the middle of lush green landscapes and pine valleys, the church is the main attraction of Dalhousie.
Proper structure of the chapel was built in 1863 before which it was a wooden structure. The idea to build a stone structure for the chapel took place in 1863 when Rev. John H. Pratt arrived at Dalhousie. He inspired the tourist Christian Protestant missionaries to build a permanent church building at this place. The architecture of the church is similar to the Roman Catholic's Church of England; the only difference is that the St. John's Church belongs to the Protestants community.
This Protestant Church is filled with the memories of the British regime in Dalhousie, and is an embodiment of the Victorian era. If the tourists happen to be art lovers, nature enthusiasts or avid readers, then this is the place to be. The calm and composed chapel is dedicated to St. John. Inside the chapel, there are dramatic glass paintings of St. John and St Peter. Within the church building, there is a library as well which houses a rich collection of rare book and photography. All the books and snaps depict the history and culture of Dalhousie.
Other Churches in Himachal Pradesh