A Barbie-perfect nose is the dream of every woman, no matter what the age is. With time, the definition of the ‘perfect’ shape and look of the nose have always been changing. In the 80s and 90s, having a small nose was a trend, but now a more pronounced nose has become the latest trend. For those who follow the trend and want to have a pronounced and natural-looking nose, rhinoplasty is the best option.
Rhinoplasty is one of the common types of plastic surgeries done to change the appearance of the nose. Other than cosmetic reasons, it is also done to treat breathing problems or any birth defects associated with the nose.
Rhinoplasty can be done in any person whose nasal bone is fully grown. Although anyone with good health and without any active disease is considered a suitable candidate for cosmetic rhinoplasty, the final decision will be taken by the doctor.
The following factors are taken into consideration to check if the person is eligible for rhinoplasty:
- Complete facial growth
- Realistic expectations from the surgery
PREPARATION BEFORE PROCEDURE
During this period, the surgeon will discuss the procedure, its benefits, and risks. The surgeon will ask you about your medical and medication history. A physical examination and laboratory tests are done to determine your fitness for undergoing surgery. A few photographs of the nose from different angles are taken, which are used as a reference during and after surgery for comparing the result.
Once the surgery is scheduled, you need to follow certain tips, which help in attaining better outcomes:
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, or any other medicines that increase the risk of bleeding during and after the surgery
- Consult your doctor before using any OTC medications
- Stop smoking, as it slows down the process of recovery
- Inform your doctor about your current medications, vitamins, and mineral supplements
Rhinoplasty is of two types. They are:
- Open rhinoplasty: In this procedure, the surgeon will make an incision on the columella (a narrow strip of fleshy tissue that forms the base of the nasal septum) and reconstruct the underlying bone or cartilage.
- Closed rhinoplasty: In this procedure, incisions are made inside the nose to restructure the bone or cartilage.
Rhinoplasty is performed under local or general anesthesia. A local anesthetic causes numbness in the area of surgery, and a general anesthetic causes unconsciousness. Now, the surgeon will make an incision either on the columella or across the base of the nose. The surgeon then gently pulls the skin from the cartilage or nasal bone and start reshaping it.
Nasal bone or cartilage can be reshaped in several ways. The surgeon may either remove tissue or add an extra bone to produce a perfect look. The extra bone is obtained either from ears, nose or from the ribs (rarely). Once the changes are done, the skin is re-draped on the nose, and the incisions are stitched.
After the procedure, you will be in a recovery room for a few hours. The nurse will monitor your vitals, and depending on the condition, you will be discharged a few hours later.
A nasal splint is placed inside the nose for protection and support for at least one week. Swelling and pain in the face, especially around the nose and eyes are common for a few weeks, which can be managed by taking the prescribed medicines. Additionally, you may also notice slight bleeding and mucus drainage from the surgical site.
A few weeks later, the surgeon will remove the dressing. It takes at least one year to see a fully refined nasal contour.
The doctor will give the following instructions for quick recovery:
- Avoid doing strenuous exercises, such as aerobics, running, or jogging for at least three to six weeks
- Keep the bandage dry and clean
- Take the prescribed medicines regularly
- Limit laughing, smiling, or any other expression that may stretch the incision
- Limit the movement of the upper lip
- Brush the teeth gently
- Avoid pulling the clothes over the head
FACTORS AFFECTING COST
India provides the best cosmetic rhinoplasty at an affordable price. The cost of a rhinoplasty is much lower in India than in other countries.
The girl should be at least 15 years old if rhinoplasty is done for a cosmetic reason. However, if the surgery is performed for a breathing problem, then it can be done at a younger age.
Depending on the overall health and recovery, it will take at least two to four weeks for a person to resume back to his/her normal activity.
Rhinoplasty is contraindicated in certain conditions, which cause excessive bleeding, such as hemophilia.
In most of the cases, rhinoplasty is performed as an outpatient procedure and the person will get discharged on the same day after the surgery. If there are any health issues, then you may need to stay for a night in the hospital.
Rhinoplasty usually takes one to two hours. If the surgery is complex, then it may take longer.