Old Lighthouse is located just opposite to the famous Gandhi Statue on the Beach Road in Pondicherry. Originally, the Lighthouse traces its history from the year 1836. It was built by one of the renowned engineers of that time, L. Guerre. Built above a rectangular platform, the Lighthouse was a fluted construction with a height of 29 m. The construction also has three opening; a place for the watchman, a shop and a staircase that leads to the top. However, later after more than a century, the lighthouse went out of order, and thus, there came the need of building a new lighthouse which is presently located in Kirapalaiyam Village. This Lighthouse was erected in the year 1970. The abandoned Lighthouse is presently serving as a converted museum and is touted as one of the top tourist sites in Pondicherry. The space in front of the Lighthouse is used for various commercial, musical and cultural activities. Being one of the most popular Tourist Attractions in Pondicherry, the Old Lighthouse is visited by numerous tourists, both locals as well as internationals, throughout the year.
All Days from 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM
Goubert Avenue (opp Gandhi Statue), Puducherry - 605001, India