The cultural vibrancy of India gains an esteemed position every year during the carnival of Taj Mahotsav in Agra. A festival attended by all religious beliefs and races of India, Taj Mahotsav commences mostly in the month of February or March with grand shows and cultural events which are particular to the Indian origin. Mainly initiated to promote the local handicrafts of different regions of India and to bring the artisans into limelight this festival has influenced the transnational tourists who never fail to explore such vibrant events. India’s authentic dance forms, handicrafts and cuisines are found in one grand platform which is a festive bonanza for tourists who are fond of ethnic items. It is one of the most popular festivals of Agra. This year, it will be the 31st year of this festival. Tourists from India and abroad come to enjoy this Taj Mahotsav festival and spellbound to see the magnificent art and craft.
Taj Mahotsav Dates 2022- 20th March to 29th March
Also Read: Best Places to Visit in Agra
Let’s Know About This Festival in Detail
- When and Why Taj Mahotsav celebrated?
- Taj Mahotsav 2022 Venue
- Ticket Price for Taj Mahotsav 2022
- Taj Mahotsav Festival Highlights 2022
- How to Reach Taj Mahal?
- Where to stay near Taj Mahal?
- Places to Visit Nearby Taj Mahal
When and Why Taj Mahotsav celebrated?
This grand cultural event is one of its kind in Northern India and inspires tourists to head without any second thought for the comfortable weather. Taj Mahotsav in 2022 will start from 20th of March and exude its flamboyant aura on 29th of March 2022. The festival is 10 days long to celebrate and honor the innovative art and skills of craftsmen, culture, cuisines of India. It is of great cultural significance for Indian cultural heritage. It is also a way to revive the Nawabi style which dominated Uttar Pradesh in 18th and 19th centuries.
First initiated in 1992, the Taj Mahotsav exhibits the artistic excellence of around 400 artisans assembling together from different corners of the globe. Some of the best varieties of handicrafts include woodcarvings of Saharanpur, handmade carpets of Bhadohi, Chikankari of Lucknow, blue pottery of Khurja, silk of Varanasi, shawls and carpets from Kashmir/Gujarat, pottery from Khurja, wood/stone carvings from Tamil Nadu, kantha stitch from West Bengal, bamboo/cane work from North East India, and paper & mash work from South India.
Taj Mahotsav 2022 Venue
The vibrant festival of Taj Mahotsav 2022 will be celebrated in the village of Shilpgram in Agra which is only 500 meters from Taj Mahal.
Ticket Price for Taj Mahotsav 2022
- Ticket Price – Adults- 50 INR per person
- Tickets for children up to 5 years old are free of cost. Tickets for foreign tourists are also free.
Taj Mahotsav Festival Highlights 2022
Enjoy the best of Uttar Pradesh Tourism by diving deep into the festive vibes of Taj Mahotsav 2022.
- Great Treasure of exquisite artwork of Craftsmen – Taj Mahotsav will boast a vast treasure of exquisite works of art of skilled artisans of different parts of the country. It will be the center of attraction for the tourists
- Cultural Performances will make your day – Majestic and magnetic performances by International and domestic artists will blow your heart away. Folk and classical music, dances of various regions, classical, semi-classical and popular art forms from various parts of the country will create a spell which is difficult to resist.
- Delicious Cuisines to tickle your taste buds- What’s the fun of Taj Mahotsav if you do not try delicious cuisines here. There are endless varieties of scrumptious dishes, typical and traditional Uttar Pradesh dishes to make this fest memorable. It will surely delight a food lover. Foodies can taste authentic dishes of different states like Gulab Jamun, Amritsari Naan, Hyderabadi Biryani, Lucknowi Kebab and several other mouth-watering cuisines.
- Carnival Fun Fair – Taj Mahotsav has something very interesting for children also. The vibrant and appealing Carnival for children will definitely make their day fun-filled. Merry-go-round, train rides, Ferris wheel etc. will become the biggest attraction for them. Teenagers and adults can also enjoy various rides and roller coasters. Enjoying it here is the best thing to do in Taj Mahotsav with your family.
Taj Mahotsav – How to Get There?
To observe Taj Mahotsav 2022, international travelers need to reach Delhi, from where they can book vehicles as per their convenience. However, domestic tourists can go for the following modes of conveyance.
- By Air: Kheria Airport is around 13 km from Agra city and seasonal commercial flights connect Delhi to Agra by air. Only Air India flights fly between these two destinations.
- By Train: There are five railway stations in Agra – Agra Fort Railway Station, Agra Cantt Station, Raja ki Mandi, Idgah Railway Station and Agra City. For Taj Mahotsav, Agra Cantt is the best option.
- By Bus: The cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Lucknow, Gwalior and Kanpur are well connected to the city of Agra by road. Idgah Bus Stand is around 8 km from Taj Mahal and ISBT is around 12 km.
Where to Stay?
There are wonderful staying options in Agra which are borderline genius. To meet the needs of all classes of tourists exclusively luxurious to the budget category of hotels are opened across the city. If you don’t have budget constraints, you can go for the Oberoi Amarvilas, Radisson Blu, JP Palace, Taj Gateway, Hotel Trident or ITC Mughal.
For the people looking for comfort in a limited budget, Ray of Maya, Clarks Inn Bhawna, Hotel Taj Resorts are a few useful options. One can also look for Govt. Accommodations like Tourist Bungalow, Gulistan Tourist Complex and few more. But, as you are traveling in the festive season, make sure you book your accommodation in advance.
Other Interesting Blogs to Read
Other Tourist Attractions in and around Taj Mahal
It’s good to travel to Agra during the Taj Mahotsav. The weather remains comfortable and you can make your trip more happening by visiting amazing sightseeing attractions near the symbol of Love, Taj Mahal and enjoy the charm of Agra Tourism.
Agra Fort- Built by Akbar in 1565 AD, this magnificent sandstone-built fort showcases the lost charm and glorious past of the great Mughal empire. The fortress resembles the shape of a crescent. It is a great piece of architecture. Inside the fort you will behold Nagina Masjid which was built by Shah Jahan as a mosque for ladies of the court. The Musamman Burj is another attraction which will cast a mesmerizing spell on your senses. It is said that emperor Shah Jahan breathed his last here. If you want to witness the legacy of Mughals, Agra Fort is a perfect place to be in. It is indeed one of the most popular tourist attractions to visit near Taj Mahal.
Sikandra- The Red sandstone and marble tomb was built by the great Mughal emperor Akbar himself and finished by his son Jehangir. You will see a beautiful blend of Islamic and Hindu architecture. Not lost by the ravages of time, it has kept intact the glories of the Mughal Empire through its exquisite and well-preserved structure. It is a great place to visit near Taj Mahal. The most interesting thing to see here is the interior of the tomb in which the tenets of Din-e– ilahi are written, which is a philosophy founded by Akbar. It is an amalgamation of Hinduism, Islam and many other faiths.
Fatehpur Sikri- Mughal Akbar’s capital Fatehpur Sikri is one of the most visited tourist attractions to visit near Taj Mahal. It is said that he built Fatehpur Sikri to thank (Shukri) locals for helping him to win the battle of Khanwa in 1527 against Rana Sanga of Mewar. You will also witness Mariyam Makani’s tomb and Birbal Palace, Panch Mahal and a tomb of Salim Chishti here.
Khas Mahal – Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan built Khas Mahal for his two lovely daughters Jahanara and Roshanara. It is one of the most beautiful constructions of the Mughal empire. It has a river on one side and Anguri Bagh on the other side. Open courts, marble pavilions, fountains and portraits of Mughal emperors will take you back to the Mughal Era. It is one of the best places to visit for the Agra sightseeing tour.
Moti Masjid- In the collection of forts and monuments in Agra, Moti Masjid will shine like a bright pearl. In fact, it is in the color of pearls, entirely white. The three huge domes of artistic architecture built with light white marble and red sandstone will captivate your mind. It is one of the most beautiful places to visit near Taj Mahal.
Itimad-Ud-Daulah’s Tomb- This tomb is dedicated to the father of Mughal queen Nur Jahan Mirza Ghiaz Beg. Itimad- Ud – Daulah was a title bestowed to him by Mughal emperor Jehangir, he also married his daughter Nur Jahan. Built entirely in white marble, the Persian architecture decked with semi- precious stone will definitely overpower your senses. It is a must visit place near Taj Mahal.
If you are traveling to Agra for Taj Mahotsav then trust us you will have the most memorable time of your life. Not only the festival’s charm and fun filled activities will make your day but also the tourist attractions, delicious cuisines, and culture and heritage of the city will enchant your soul completely.
Other Important UP Tourism Links
You May Also Like to Read These Trending Informative Travel Blogs on Tour My India
Like & Follow our social media accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin & Instagram for getting the latest updates & offers on holiday packages.
Disclaimer: We do not take credit for some of the licenced paid images used in our blogs, whether from Google Images, Fotolia & Shutterstock. All such images are the copyrights of their respective owners and we try to provide credit for them wherever we can. If, however, any copyright image has been used on our blog, the concerned person can either mail us directly to remove the image or provide credit to whomsoever the image may belong to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Taj Mahotsav festival organized?
The Taj Mahotsav in Agra will be celebrated in Shilpgram which is a well-known handicraft village located 500 meters from Taj Mahal.
What are the dates for Taj Mahal Festival 2022?
Taj Mahotsav 2022 dates - 20th March to 29th March
What is the ticket price for the Taj Mahal Festival?
- Ticket Price - Adults- 50 INR per person
- Tickets for children up to 5 years old are free of cost. Tickets for foreign tourists are also free.
How to book an online ticket for Taj Mahal Mahotsava?
Online facility for ticket booking is not available. You can purchase tickets at the ticket counter.
For booking Taj Mahal Sightseeing tour packages and other travel arrangements contact TourMyIndia. Call us at 91-9212777223 or send us your queries at email@example.com.
What are the major attractions at Taj Mahotsav?
- Cultural Programs
- Kids Carnival
Which are the best places to visit near Taj Mahal?
- Fateh pur Sikri
- Moti Masjid
- Khas Mahal
- Agra Fort
- Itimad-Ud- Daulah’s Tomb