Embrace the glittery snow and crispy mountain breeze….
There are so many destinations in India where the crispy and chilled breeze, glittering snow and enchanting mist will be bound with a tyrant spell from which you will never be able to escape. Images of glassy ponds, snowy roofs and mountains are like nectar which tourists will drink with ecstasy. Winter is the best time to explore the beautiful vistas of mountains, picturesque lakes and natural wonders as summer brings unbearable heat which makes sightseeing unpleasant for some places in India.
While the rest of the world enjoys a deep sleep in their warm blankets, the Globetrotters pack their bags for an excursion. If you are also one of those who loves to explore different places, especially during the chilled weather then the best winter destinations of India will soothe your soul.
Read below to know about the best places that you can visit in India, during winters.
Quick Information on Winter destinations in India
|Most visited Winter Destinations in India ||Munnar, Manali, Tawang, Shimla, Dalhousie, Pondicherry, Nainital, Goa, Darjeeling, Lakshadweep |
|Snow Destinations of India ||Manali, Gulmarg, Auli, Mussoorie, Munsiyari, Zuluk, Mechuka,Pelling, Kotkhai, Lava |
|Best Winter Adventure Destinations of India ||Kerala, Goa, Rajasthan, Manali, Auli, Orchha, Great Rann of Kutch, Sikkim, Andaman, Zanskar Valley and Lakshadweep. |
|Romantic Winter Destinations in India ||Andaman Islands, Kerala, Goa, Darjeeling, Rajasthan, Gulmarg, Nagaland, Sikkim, Shimla, Manali, Auli, Munsiyari. |
List of Top 14 Places to Visit in Winter Season in India
- Rann of Kutch
- Arunachal Pradesh
Recommended Tour Packages
Loud night parties, crazy crowd and delectable dishes, everything that defines an electrifying atmosphere is available in Goa. It is one of the most visited winter destinations in India. With Christmas Carnival and New Year Eve around the corner, the high spirits of Goa are best displayed in winters. Be it a bash alfresco at the beach or a high-profile get-together in a restaurant, exuberance can be seen in every nook and corner of Goa.
Best Things to Do in Goa
- If you want to explore something unique than beaches in Goa then check out the gorgeous spice plantations in Goa. Walking through the lush green plantations is one of the best things to do in Goa.
- A beautiful sunset cruise in the Mandovi River will make your day.
- Hopping on Islands and pristine beaches of Goa is a must not miss.
- Explore Goan caves which are of great historical and natural importance.
- Relax your soul in Mandrem with yoga and meditation.
- Offbeat treks to waterfalls are some of the top things to do in Goa in winters.
Note: Don’t forget to make an advance booking before it’s too late!
Also Check out: Popular Goa Tour Packages
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
The cosy feel provided by the chilled weather turns the atmosphere romantic. So, if you are looking for a romantic winter getaway, visit Shimla. This city is adorned with beautiful snow-clad mountains that make it the hottest destination for love couples.
Further, it’s not that the place is meant only for love birds; tourists seeking some thrill can also visit the city. Shimla is highly popular as a skiing destination and thus, entices adventurers from different parts of the globe. It is indeed the best winter destination to visit in India.
Best Things to Do in Shimla
- One of the best things to do in Shimla is to enjoy the Kalka-Shimla toy train ride.
- Shopping at the colourful Bazaars will enrich your travel experience to a whole new level.
- Asia’s only open- air ice skating rink is one of the top things to enjoy in winters in India.
- Seek divine blessings at Jakhu Temple which is situated in the Jakhu Hill, the highest peak of Shimla.
- Beautiful sunset, snow-capped mountains and lush green valleys at scandal point are the best sights to behold in Shimla.
- Enjoy the thrill of adventurous camping in Shimla. You will also find awesome places for trekking.
- Spend a fun-filled day in the cultural hub of Shimla, Shimla Ridge. It’s one of the best things to do here in Winter.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Completely different from Goa, Andaman is a place which is tailor-made for those who are looking for relaxation in the lap of Mother Nature. It is one of the most stunning winter vacation destinations of India. The tranquillity of the place works as the main crowd puller. Besides serenity, travellers can enjoy exotic wildlife, especially the aquatic species.
In addition to this, visitors can also indulge in snorkelling and other water sports, so as to add some thrill to their vacation.
Best Things to Do in Andaman
- Enjoy the best of thrilling and exciting water Sports at the island and beaches of Andaman.
- Swimming with elephants is one of the top things to do in Andaman. You have to book your swim in advance to enjoy it.
- Explore the drop-dead gorgeous surroundings of Andaman. It’s an ideal paradise for nature lovers and solace seekers.
- The light and sound of the Cellular Jail will blow your heart away.
- Trekking from Mt Harriet (the highest peak) to Madhuban is one of the best things to do in Andaman in winter.
- Volcano tour is one of the offbeat things to do in Andaman but the sight will be mesmerizing.
- Delight your senses with soothing vistas from South Andaman to North Andaman in a Helicopter.
Also Check Out: Popular Andaman Tour Packages
One of the best winter tourist destinations in Uttarakhand, Auli is a home to various perfect skiing slopes. An adventure junky would never miss a chance to visit this place, as the skiing experience offered at Auli is simply matchless. Though the trip to Auli is short, the experience earned provides memories that last forever. If you want to enjoy the best of winter tourism in India then Auli is definitely a place to be in.
Best Things to Do in Auli
- Glittery snow-covered hill station of Auli offers the thrill of Skiing which is the best thing to do in winters.
- Trekking from Auli to Gorson Bugyal will enable you to witness the panoramic vistas of lush green meadows and picturesque Nanda Devi Peak.
- Camping is among the best things to do in Auli. A beautiful night of bonfire, delicious food and fun filled games will make your day.
- Cable car ride is one of the most popular attractions in Auli. Treat your eyes with stunning views of the town.
- Chattrakund Lake is a stunning tourist attraction in Auli surrounded by jungle. Spend some peaceful moments of bliss by dozing around it.
- You will be spellbound by the beauty of Trishul Peak. It is a must visit tourist attraction in Auli.
- Become one with nature in Nanda Devi National Park. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Hitting the deserts in winter sounds like a wise idea! Let’s face it; the charm of Rajasthan can never fade, be it any time of the year. Best places to visit in Rajasthan winter months would be Jodhpur and Jaisalmer. A part of the Thar Desert, these glorious cities reflect the authentic culture of vivacious Rajasthan. These two cities have pleasant climate during the winters; so, while your friends swell with layers of woolen clothing, you can climb the sand dunes in a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. A camel ride is a must along with watching puppet shows and folk dance in Rajasthan.
Best Things to Do in Rajasthan
- Witness the stunning beauty and grandeur of forts and palaces by Zip lining and flying fox. It is one of the best things to do in Rajasthan.
- Wildlife of Rajasthan is awesome and exotic. Visit the wildlife Sanctuaries and National Parks of Rajasthan to make some wild friends.
- Hot air ballooning in Rajasthan is one of the top things to do in Rajasthan. Fly high in the sky and explore the royal legacies of Rajasthan.
- Desert Camping will give you the chance to gaze at the star-lit sky and spend some moments of bliss amidst the golden sand dunes.
- Dune bashing is one of the most thrilling adventure sports of the Thar Desert. You must enjoy the thrill of dune bashing once in a lifetime.
- A day out with majestic Elephants at Dera Amer will be the most memorable experience of your life.
Also Check Out: Rajasthan Tour Packages
You will not understand Kerala, until you visit this impeccable place. This southwestern state is like Santa Claus’s gift bag! There is something for everyone here, beaches for the sun-worshippers, backwaters for the leisure-seekers, wildlife reserves for wildlife enthusiasts, hill stations for nature lovers, Ayurveda massages for the rejuvenation of body and yoga for the peace of mind. One can choose the kind of winter holiday that he wants without being restricted to the limitation of options.
Best Things to Do in Kerala
- Houseboat cruise in the emerald backwaters of Kerala is one of the top things to do in Kerala.
- Visit the soul soothing Hill stations of Kerala to escape the chaos of the world and blend with nature. In winters, Kerala’s hill stations are the best attractions to visit for a wonderful holiday.
- Don’t miss the stunning Tea plantations of Kerala. Walk in the midst of lush greenery and delight your senses.
- Houseboats and Shikara rides of Alleppey are a must not miss.
- Spice Tour is among the top activities to do in Kerala.
- Lush green Wildlife Sanctuaries and enchanting wilderness will be waiting for you to seduce your eyes.
- Scenic village tour is an integral part of Kerala Tourism.
Other Interesting Blogs to Read
If you don’t feel like spending your winter snuggling in a blanket, then trust me you don’t have to. Plan a holiday to Lakshadweep where you can, instead of getting draped in blankets and quilts, splash in the azure water! Situated about 300kms off the coast of Kerala, Lakshadweep is nothing short of an adventure island. It is one of the best winter destinations to visit in India. Enjoy a dive into the crystal-clear water of the Indian Ocean and watch the underwater life; you can even choose to get a harmless sun tan or enjoy water sports like yachting and kayaking.
Lakshadweep is very popular for its water sports. Snorkeling, Scuba- diving, fishing, Kite surfing, canoeing etc. You can also enjoy Sunbathing in the mesmerizing sandy beaches and architectural wonders at Kalpeni Island. If you are a party person then the nightlife of Lakshadweep will make you feel alive. Eateries and restaurants, amazing Seafood and soothing weather will make your winter beach holidays the best to remember.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Rann of Kutch, Gujarat
Sprawling white desert! Ideal compensation for snow in winter! Rann of Kutch in Gujarat is the perfect place to visit in winter and I will definitely give the reason why. Well, during the monsoon season the salt in the area submerges in the water, it is only till November and December the complete area dries up again to become the white desert So, it is advisable that one visits Rann of Kutch by mid-December; also it is that time of the year when Gujarat organizes the Rann Utsav. A camel ride on a moonlit night is a must here.
Rann Utsav – 1st November 2021 to 20th February 2022
Other Interesting Blogs to Read
Gulmarg, Jammu & Kashmir
Adventure seekers, you cannot miss out on Gulmarg in the winter season. This gorgeous winter destination in India is situated in Kashmir and is best known for skiing. I wouldn’t be boasting, if I didn’t have to but Gulmarg is truly a paradise for adventure freaks. During the winter season, the entire town of Gulmarg is blanketed with a thick layer of snow. The lofty mountains thus convert into a skiing arena. There are two points (Kongdori and Apharwat ridge) from where one can try skiing in Gulmarg and both these points are connected by a cable car called Gulmarg Gondola (Asia’s largest cable car project). The snow-clad town of Kashmir is indeed a perfect destination for a winter holiday in India.
Apart from Skiing and Gondola ride you can enjoy Golfing at Gulmarg Golf Course. Bird watching at Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve and photography at Ningle Nallah are some of the best things to do to enjoy the best of Gulmarg Tourism. Moreover, don’t forget the Ponytail ride in Khilanmarg and soul soothing temples of Gulmarg will absolutely add a delight to your journey. Gulmarg is indeed a beautiful winter destination to visit in Jammu and Kashmir.
Also Read: Top Things to Do in Jammu & Kashmir
This glistening town in Uttarakhand is amongst the most preferred winter destinations in India. Like many North Indian hill stations, Nainital receives a good amount of snowfall, making it look even more stunning. The snow-covered city looks nothing short of fairyland and if you are a honeymoon couple, there can be no better place for you than this!
Best Things to Do in Nainital
- Soothing vistas of picturesque mountains while boating in Naini Lake is one of the top activities to do in Nainital.
- Witness the mesmerizing sunrise at the gorgeous Tiffin Top in Nainital.
- Nainital is an amazing shopping paradise for shopaholics. Tibetan Market and Mall Road are some of the best places for Shopping in Nainital.
- Naina Devi Temple is the major attraction of Nainital. Seek divine grace and eternal peace in the delightful Naina Devi Temple.
- Revel in the colonial charms of Raj Bhawan Palace in Nainital. If you are a history Buff, this place will delight your soul.
- Wildlife Jim Corbett National Park is the best thing to enjoy in Nainital.
- If you like adventures then rock climbing at Nainital Mountaineering Club would be one of the top things to do in Nainital.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Dressed in snow, Manali looks absolutely gorgeous! This beautiful hill station in Himachal Pradesh cis the best winter holiday destination in India. The breath-taking scenery enhanced by snow wins every visitor’s heart. Although, you will miss out on visiting Rohtang Pass (As it closes down in winter season), do not be dismayed because you have excellent places like Solang Valley, where you can go for skiing and other winter sports.
- Water Rafting at river Beas is one of the top activities to do in Manali, especially in winters.
- Seek divine blessings in the abode of soul soothing bliss – Hadimba Temple.
- Mall road and old Manali Market has awesome vibes which will make your day fun filled. You must visit old Manali.
- Enjoy the adventure sports like Trekking and Paragliding, quad biking and skiing at Solang Valley. These are the best thrilling activities to do in Winters.
- Heal your mind and rejuvenate your spirit at Manali Gompa.
- A dip in the holy spring of sage Vashisht near the Vashisht Temple which is 4000 years old.
- Treat your eyes with the mesmerizing views of Jogini Falls. A small trek to Jogini Falls will blow your heart away.
Also Read: Best Places to Visit in Manali Himachal
The winter sun is undoubtedly magical…especially if you are experiencing it in the eastern part of the country. Yes, North East India can be one of the best places for winter holiday in India. The emerald beauty glows brighter during the winter season and the warmth of hospitality of Gangtok can be clearly felt. The picturesque city of Gangtok is decked with the majestic peaks of Mt Kanchenjunga. It is a prominent Buddhist pilgrimage destination to visit in India. Apart from that if you are an adventurer and a nature lover then gorgeous valleys, lush greenery all around with thrilling activities like biking, hiking, paragliding and river rafting will make your trip in Gangtok memorable one.
Highlights- Gangtok is the popular winter tourist destination. Every year in December, the Gangtok Food and Culture festival is celebrated with great pomp and show that attracts the tourists from all over the world.
Also Check Out: Complete Sikkim Tourism Guide
Winter is the best time to visit the gorgeous state of Arunachal Pradesh. During this time, you will feel the delight of sightseeing as the weather of this beautiful state is very pleasant. The festivals of Boori Boot, Loku, Sanken and Lossar add fun and excitement for the tourists who come here for holidays. You will never get bored of Arunachal Pradesh. Here the beauty of nature is at its peak. Snow- clad Himalayan mountains, picturesque valleys and soothing high- altitude vistas are the best sights to be lost in the world of euphoria. During winters you can also enjoy Skiing, if you are a snow lover.
- Roing, Itanagar, Bomdila, Ziro and Tawang are the best places to visit in Winters.
- Pangsau Pass Winter Festival is celebrated for three days every year in the month of January.
Other Interesting Blog to Read
There is no better place than Nagaland to visit in Winters. It is a treasure trove for adventure enthusiasts and nature lovers. You will be spellbound by its natural beauty. Every mile here will compel you to click pictures. Moreover, you will experience Naga Culture with the best delicious cuisines and their lifestyle. Myriad festivals of different communities here will take you to the world of bliss. Encompassing hills and mountains, gorgeous valleys, subtropical rainforests and the beauty and simplicity of rural surreal villages will not be less than a paradise or a Garden of Eden.
Highlights: December is the month of festivities in Nagaland. The great Hornbill festival is celebrated in the month of December for 10 days which showcase the unique heritage of Nagaland and their cultural sensibilities.
Also Read: Best Tourist Places in Nagaland
There are various other destinations in India that provide a perfect winter getaway, but the above mentioned are certainly the best ones. All these destinations provide a rare blend of thrill and serenity and thus, every traveler must visit them. If you have any query, you can definitely ask in the comment section of the blog.
Other Information Winter Tourism Related Articles
Like & Follow our social media accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin & Instagram for getting the latest updates & offers on holiday packages.
Disclaimer: We do not take credit for some of the licenced paid images used in our blogs, whether from Google Images, Fotolia & Shutterstock. All such images are the copyrights of their respective owners and we try to provide credit for them wherever we can. If, however, any copyright image has been used on our blog, the concerned person can either mail us directly to remove the image or provide credit to whomsoever the image may belong to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.Where can we go for a family vacation in Winters?
There are so many beautiful places to go for winter holidays with family and create awesome moments to cherish. Some of the best places to go for a family vacation in Winters are –
- Himachal Pradesh
Q.Which is the best place to enjoy adventure sports activities in Winters?
Some of the best places to enjoy adventure sports activities in Winters are-
- Great Rann of Kutch
- Arunachal Pradesh
Q.What are the best winter destinations in India to enjoy snowfall?
The best winter destinations in India to enjoy snowfall are-
- Kalpa, Himachal
- Pelling, Sikkim
- Sonmarg, Jammu and Kashmir
- Khati Village, Uttarakhand
- Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
- Lambasingi Andhra Pradesh
- Nelong Valley, Uttarakhand
- Zanskar Valley, Ladakh
- Lava, West Bengal
Q.What are the best recommended travel tips for winter holidays in India?
Tips for winter holidays in India –
- Pack proper winter clothes if you are planning a winter holiday in India. The temperature can be so harsh at times in several places.
- Comfortable footwear is very essential to carry. If you want to walk in snow then a specialized footwear is needed.
- Gloves, scarf, body lotions, Jackets and Sunglasses and hats are essential to carry
- Make sure that you have booked your accommodation in advance to avoid the last-minute hassle.
- You must have a proper medicine kit as chances of catching cold or fever due to cold weather are high. Also, some other medicines for common illnesses will be handy.
- Carry portable chargers and extra batteries all the time.
- It is better to have a pre-planned itinerary.
Q.What are the best places to enjoy in India in winters for couples?
Best winter places to enjoy for couples in India are –
- Zanskar Valley