George Everest House Mussoorie
A piece of documented history awaits the tourists 6 km from the library Chowk (or Gandhi Chowk). Built in 1832, the house and observatory of Sir George Everest, the Welsh surveyor and geographer and the Surveyor General of India (from 1830 to 1843). He played a major role in the Great Trigonometric Survey of India which extended from South India to Nepal, covering a distance of about 2,400 km. After this survey, world’s highest peak was discovered; that peak was Mount Everest, and it was named after Sir George Everest in 1865. From where the old residential structure stands, one can see the Doon valley at one side and the marvellous snow-covered Himalayan peaks at the other. Everest House is well-connected by motorable roads; however, the way becomes a little rough after Haathi Paon.