The face is the prime focus when a person looks at you. As we age, wrinkle lines or frown lines appear on the forehead that may reflect our troubles or age. If you have this problem, forehead lift might be the right choice for you.
A forehead lift is done to reduce the visible signs of aging that appear on your forehead due to several behavioral and environmental factors. The forehead lift enhances the overall appearance of an individual.
A forehead lift is a cosmetic procedure, which is also known as a brow lift or browplasty or temporal lift. The procedure helps to correct the sagging forehead skin, eyebrows, and hooded upper eyelids. In a forehead lift procedure, the surgeon makes a series of moves and removes sections of muscle and skin that are responsible for deep frown lines and wrinkles.
A forehead or brow lift is suggested when you need a smoother and youthful appearance. The procedure is mostly done on people between the age groups of 40 to 60 to minimize the visible signs of aging.
The following are the suitable candidates for a forehead lift:
- People without pre-existing medical conditions
- Physically active individuals
- People with horizontal wrinkles on the forehead
- People who have developed frown lines or furrows due to stress or muscle activity
- Individuals with inherited conditions like furrowed lines above the nose, or a low or heavy brow
PREPARATION BEFORE PROCEDURE
Before starting the brow lift procedure, your plastic surgeon will review your medical history to know about your past and present medical conditions. A physical examination of your face will be done to examine different parts of your face. Also, photographs of your face might be taken for your medical record.
Your surgeon will provide you with the following instructions before the procedure:
- Quit smoking as it can decrease the blood flow in the skin and slow down the process of healing.
- Avoid medications, such as aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs as they might increase the risk of bleeding.
- You should make plans to arrange for someone to accompany you home after surgery.
- Inform your doctor if you have any illness, such as a cold, fever, or herpes breakout before the procedure.
- Do not eat or drink before the surgery as there are chances to choke on stomach contents after giving anesthesia.
The following are the two types of forehead lift surgeries:
Classic forehead lift: This procedure is also known as a coronal forehead lift. In this type of brow lift, the surgeon makes an incision that starts at about the ear level across the forehead to the other ear.
Endoscopic forehead lift: In case of endoscopic surgery, the surgeon makes three to five scalp incisions that are less than an inch. An endoscope is passed through one of the incisions that allows the surgeon to view the tissues beneath the skin.
Depending on the facial features and assessment, any one of the following technique is selected to get the best outcomes:
Classic or coronal brow lift:
Your surgeon will give you either general anesthesia or local anesthesia combined with intravenous sedation. Now, an incision is made at the anterior hairline across your head from one ear to other, i.e., similar to a headphone pattern. The surgeon will now lift the forehead skin to its new position from the underlying muscles. Now, the incisions are closed using sutures, staples, or clips. This type of forehead lift is not recommended for people with high hairlines, thin hair or with a tendency to lose their hair.
Endoscopic brow lift:
An IV line or general anesthesia is given before starting the procedure. During this procedure, the surgeon makes a few incisions behind your hairline and inserts an endoscope beneath the skin to view the underlying muscles and tissues clearly. Through another incision, the surgeon uses an instrument or a temporary fixation device to lift the forehead skin. The incisions are closed with the help of sutures or small clips. This procedure is mostly done in younger individuals who just started having brow problems.
- Post-procedure, your forehead will be wrapped loosely with a sterile padding to minimize the swelling and prevent bleeding.
- You need to keep your head raised for two to three days post-surgery to prevent swelling.
- Slight numbness and temporary discomfort would be felt at the incision site that might go away with medications.
- A cold compress can be applied to reduce swelling.
- During the follow-up visits, the surgeon will evaluate your face, especially for changes in the skin
- The incisions should not be exposed to motion or excessive pressure.
- In some cases, a forehead lift surgery might result in short-term side effects, such as:
- Temporary discomfort or numbness at the site of incision
- Slight pain around the incision
- Numbness on the scalp that is usually followed by itching
- Swelling and bruising that might affect your eyes and cheeks
The following are some of the self-care suggestions that enable faster recovery:
- Follow the instructions given to take care of the wound as directed by the surgeon
- Avoid stress on the wounds, such as wearing tops that are to be pulled over the head
- Avoid too many facial movements and frowning for the initial few weeks after the procedure
- Make sure to take pain-relieving medication as prescribed by the doctor
FACTORS AFFECTING COST
The cost of brow lift surgery in India depends on several factors and is much less compared to other countries. The cost of the surgery starts from USD 2,350 in India.
Yes. The following cosmetic procedures may be done along with a forehead lift:
- Face lifting
- Blepharoplasty (upper and lower eyelid surgery)
- Skin resurfacing techniques
Although the complications of a brow lift are not common, it might result in:
- Eyelid problems
- Hair loss at the incision site
- Eye irritation
- Dryness of the eyes
- Eyebrow asymmetry
- Hematoma (Bleeding beneath the skin that results in the accumulation of blood)
- Skin loss
- Poor wound healing
Yes. It is quite common to feel a loss of sensation around the site of the incision. This usually happens with the classic forehead lift, which might be temporary or even permanent.
Recovery after a forehead lift surgery is a gradual process. The recovery time may vary depending on the type of browplasty, age, overall health, and several other factors.
It is not advised to choose any kind of hair treatments for at least one month after the surgery.