Langudi is a Buddhist heritage site in Odisha located on the plains of Mahanadi Delta in the district of Jajpur. This long stretch of hills is lacking with vegetation but is clustered with several Khondalite rocks. The hill houses a series of rock-cut Buddhist stupas and few Buddhist shrines dated back from early medieval that make it one of the top tourist attractions of the district. The excavation carried out here uncover two panels of rock-cut caves and Dhyani Buddhas. The first panel dates back from 1st-4th centuries that consists of the series of 34 stupas. Of these, the centre one in the series is the largest stupa flanked by Vidyadharas that tells the specimen of the stunning craftsmanship. However, there is one more feature of the series that include a floral tribute to stupas. Coming on to the second panel, which traces its history from 8th-10th centuries, it includes stupas, Buddhas in dhyani mudras, goddess Tara - the seafaring goddess, Avalokitesvaras - deities of Vajrayana pantheon, Prajnaparamita - the holy mother of all the celestial Dhyani Buddhas.
Best Time to Visit
From the month of October to March (winter season), the temperature of the region remains pleasant and comfortable to explore the region which makes it the best time to visit Langudi.
How to Reach?
Biju Patnaik International Airport is the nearest airhead from Langudi which is located at a distance of 75 km. Whereas, the closest railhead is Bhubaneshwar Railway Station which is 72 km away from Langudi. However, Bhadrak Railway Station (68 km) also serves as the nearest railhead from Langudi.
Nearby Tourist Attractions
- Ratnagiri: Also referred as ‘Hills of Jewels’, Ratnagiri is a beautiful hillock in Jajpur district, Odisha. With many Buddhist remains, monasteries, antiquities, temples from ancient times make Ratnagiri a prominent heritage attraction in Odisha.
- Nrusinghanath Temple: Located at a distance of 21 km from Langudi, Nrusinghanath Temple is devoted to Lord Nrusinghanath which is another of form of Lord Vishnu. Besides its highly religious significance, the temple is also known for its stunning architecture.
- Biraja Temple: One of the highly revered ancient Hindu temple in Odisha, Biraja Temple in Jajpur worships Goddess Girija and Lord Jagannath which are another form of Goddess Durga and Lord Shiva. The temple is also an important part of Maha Shakthi Peetas.
- Udayagiri: Some 21 km away from Langudi, Udaygiri is another heritage destination in Odisha. Being the largest Buddhist complex in India, Udayagiri is one of the popular tourist attraction of Odisha.
- Lalitgiri: Lalitgiri is one of the oldest Buddhist complexes in the country which forms the popular Diamond Triangle of Odisha with Ratnagiri and Udayagiri. The place houses numerous stunning Buddhist monuments, temples, and stupas that make it a prominent Buddhist heritage site in the state.