Make some wild friends in the enchanting wilderness in the Garden of Pleasure …..
The city of Odisha opened the doors of the most picturesque Nandankanan Zoological Park for the tourists to enjoy wildlife Tourism after a gap of three months (94 days) on Wednesday. Nandankanan Zoological Park is surrounded by dense and tranquil forests of Chandaka. It is also known as the Garden of Pleasure. It is one of the most natural habitats to explore rare fauna and flora and one of the most popular tourist attractions in Odisha.
Odisha Tourism is most affected in covid 19 pandemic and due to the lockdown, most of the tourist places were shut, But the reopening of Nandankanan Zoological Park is a good initiative to boost wildlife tourism in Odisha. According to the Deputy director of the Zoological Park, Sanjeet Kumar, the aim of this reopening would be to provide safe and fun filled tourism to the tourists.
“Our priority is to keep everyone safe from covid be it animals or people. We want people to enjoy and learn about nature. Covid norms like social distancing, mask-wearing and sanitization are being taken care of. Those flouting the Covid norms will be fined”.
Recommended Odisha Tourism Packages
Initiatives for Safe Tourism in Nandankanan Zoological Park
- If there is a footfall of more than thousand people shift would be considered to segregate people.
- Social Distancing would be strictly followed and those who break the covid norms will be fined.
- Proper Mask wearing and sanitization would be the norm to enter the Zoological Park.
- Tickets should be booked online in advance to avoid rush.
- At multiple designated places there are provisions of Hand Sanitizer.
- Chewing Tobacco or any kind of Pan Masala is strictly prohibited. Tourists will be fined up to Rs 500/- or can be expelled from zoo campus.
- Picnic is not allowed keeping in mind the Covid 19 norms.
Also Read: Wildlife Tourism in Odisha
Glimpse of Nandankanan Zoological Park
Nandankanan Zoological Park in Odisha is also known as ‘Garden of Pleasure’. It is one of the most beautiful parks surrounded by dense forests of Chandaka. It was established in 1960. There is a very interesting story behind the creation of Nandankanan Zoological Park. A female tiger was seen in the area of Nandankanan, which is considered as the rarest scene to behold as no wild animals were seen in that area before. So, National Geographic Magazine proposed the idea of converting this natural habitat into a zoological park.
Interesting facts about Nandankanan Zoological Park
- It is the first home of White Tiger and Melanistic Tiger in the world.
- Nandankanan Zoological Park is the one and only conservation center of Pangolins in the world.
- It is the one and only Zoological Park to become a member of the World association of Zoos and Aquarium (WAZA).
- The train Nandankanan Express got its name from Nandankanan Zoological Park in Odisha.
- It is the first zoo in India to have endangered Ratel (Honey Badger).
- It is the second largest home to open Billed Storks.
Wildlife in Nandankanan Zoological Park
If you are a wildlife Enthusiasts then Nandankanan Zoological Park of Odisha is one of the best places to visit to quench your thirst of Wildlife exploration. It is the most unique park of India. Wildlife in Nandankanan Zoological Park is so exotic that it will not be found anywhere else.
It is the first zoo to have white tiger; it is the captive breeding center for endangered Gharials; it is a best conservation center for Indian Pangolin and long billed Vultures; the greatest population of open billed stork cannot be found anywhere else in India; your eyes will be filled with delight to see the rare Indian Ratels and Melanistic Tiger would soothe your eyes.
Visiting hours and Tickets for Nandankanan Zoological Park
- Timings -7:30 am to 5:30pm
- Tickets should be booked well in advance from the official website.
Also Read: Popular Beaches in Odisha
Major Attractions Near Nandankanan Zoological Park
Nandankanan Botanical Garden- It is situated inside the Nandankanan Wildlife Sanctuary. One must visit Nandankanan Botanical Garden to get useful insights on different varieties of flora. It has 24 different satellite gardens. Some of the most prominent are Carnivorous Plant Garden, Hibiscus Garden, Palm Garden etc. It is a must visit place in Nandankanan Zoological Park.
Dhauli – It is one of the best places to visit near Nandankanan Zoological Park. It houses the famous site – Vishwa Shanti Stupa and the famous rock edicts of emperor Ashoka. At the hill top of Dhauli you will witness the oldest temple of Lord Dhavaleswar.
Hirapur- Here you will witness the most unique temples in India. It houses the famous Chausath Yogini Temple. It is dedicated to 64 Yoginis. The main shrine in this temple is of Goddess Kali. The idols here are carved out of black Chlorite stone. It is one of the most popular points of tourist attraction sin Odisha.
Udayagiri and KhandaGiri Caves– It is one of the most popular tourist attractions to visit near Nandankanan Zoological Park. The caves were built around the 2nd century BC by King Kharavela of Meghavahana Dynasty. There were 117 caves out of which only 33 survived today. Udayagiri has 18 caves and Khandagiri has 15 caves.
Top Things to Do in Nandankanan Zoological Park
- Boating at Kanjia Lake
- White Tiger Safari
- Lion Safari
- Herbivore Safari
- Bear Safari
- Reptile Park to see exotic species of Reptiles
- Thrilling Leopard Enclosure
- Toy Train Ride
- Aquarium to witness aquatic ecosystems
- Nocturnal Animal house
- Walkthrough Aviary to see the bliss of nature
With the reopening of Nandankanan Zoological Park, the journey to explore the exotic wildlife of India has again started with a great pomp and show. Nandankanan Zoological Park in Odisha is indeed one of the most beautiful zoological parks of India. If you haven’t visited this unique zoological park then it is the right time to plan your trip to Odisha to feel the bliss of pristine wilderness and enchanting Wildlife.
With TourMyIndia you will get the best deals on Nandankanan Zoological Park Tour Package. From comfortable stays, exotic wildlife tours and safaris to providing a wildlife travel guide, we ensure all the pleasures of Wildlife Tourism. Book your Wildlife Tour Package with TourMyIndia to enjoy the best wildlife Tourism of Odisha.
Like & Follow our social media accounts at Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin & Instagram for getting the latest updates & offers on holiday packages.
Disclaimer: We do not take credit for some of the licenced paid images used in our blogs, whether from Google Images, Fotolia & Shutterstock. All such images are the copyrights of their respective owners and we try to provide credit for them wherever we can. If, however, any copyright image has been used on our blog, the concerned person can either mail us directly to remove the image or provide credit to whomsoever the image may belong to.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.What are the timings for Nandankanan Zoological Park?
- The timings are - April to September (07.30 hrs. to 17.30 hrs.)
- October to March (08.00 hrs. to 17.00 hrs.)
- The Park was closed for three months due to Covid 19 Pandemic but now it is reopened for tourists from 4th August 2021.
Q.How to book tickets for Nandankanan Zoological Park?
You can book tickets online in advance for the park from the official website or from the zoological Park App.
Q.What is the price of the ticket for visiting Nandankanan Zoological Park?
For foreign nationals the price of the ticket would be INR 100 per unit and for Indian citizens the price would be INR 50 per unit. For children below 3 years the ticket is free.
Q.How to reach Nandankanan Zoological Park?
- By Air - The nearest airport is the Bhuvaneshwar Airport which is 20km away from Nandankanan Zoological Park.
- By Road- Byroad Zoological Park is 17km away from Cuttack and 20km away from Bhubaneswar. You can easily get a cab or a taxi to reach here.
- By Train- The nearest Railway stations are Bhubaneswar and Cuttack Railway Stations.
Q.What are some important guidelines to follow before visiting Nandankanan Zoological Park?
- Follow all the government Covid 19 guidelines.
- Liquor, Tobacco and smoking are strictly prohibited in the park.
- Book your safaris and tickets well in advance.
- Do not throw any waste in the Park Premises, otherwise you will be fined.
- Do not feed Wild animals and play any loud music.
- Carry only essential things like documents, camera and water bottle. If you have other luggage, it will be kept in the locker by the security.
- Get a licensed wildlife tour guide.