Maharaja Express has undoubtedly redefined train travelling in India. It is indeed one of the most fascinating voyages that can be dreamed in this paradoxical land. Excellent reflection of the panache of the era of Maharajas in the country, this modern yet very much quaint train let one discover the true spirit of the nation. Suffused with the blend of grandeur and modern amenities, Maharaja Express has won accolades on international level. Conducting unforgettable voyages on some brilliant Indian routes, Maharaja Express has earned votes for being “The World’s Leading Luxury Train” for consecutively three years at The World Travel Awards, 2012, 2013 and 2014. Let us learn about this train that has made our country so proud.
Maharaja Express became the venture of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC) and Cox and Kings India Ltd. Together they formed Royale Indian Rail Tours Ltd. (RIRTL) that handled management of the Maharaja Express in March 2010. However, the venture was terminated on 12 August 2011 and this luxury train in India came under IRCTC. Since 2011, the Maharaja Express has been running successfully in India.
Insight on the Train
It’s not only the voyage that makes this train so widely acclaimed, it is the set up, interior décor, facilities, layout, meals and other services that makes this train stand apart from other trains in India. Below description will establish the fact as to why this Maharaja Express is an unmatched experience:
Maharaja Express Layout
The train has total 14 guest carriages that vary from each other in terms of their services, décor, purpose, class and price. These carriages are named after precious gemstones and they vary in the level of luxury. Moti (Junior Suite), Hakik (Deluxe Suite), Panna (Junior Suite), Firoza (Deluxe Cabin), Manik (Junior Cabin), Heera (Suite), Navratna (Presidential Suite), Neelam (Suite), Raja Club Lounge/ Sandouk (Boutique), Mayur Mahal (Restaurant), Safari Bar, Gomed (Junior Suite), Katela (Deluxe Cabin), Moonga (Junior Suite), Beruz (Deluxe Cabin), Pukhraj (Junior Suite) and Pitoniya (Deluxe Cabin) are the cabins that Maharaja Express has to offer.
The Presidential Suite called Navratna has two bedrooms, a living area, a separate dining room, private bathroom with modern amenities. Each carriage of the train has tasteful décor; rich tapestry work, wall-to-wall carpeting, linen, chic upholstery, semi precious stones and antiques amplify the beauty of each cabin. All possible state-of-the-art facilities of international standards including LCD TV, Direct Dial Telephone, choice of twin or king-size bed, Channel music, electronic safety deposit, bathrooms amenities along with toiletries and DVD players are made available for the guests.
Dining in Maharaja Express
Photo: Simon Pielow
There are two thematic fine dining restaurants namely, Rang Mahal and Mayur Mahal in Maharaja Express. The two restaurants can accommodate 42 guests each at a time. The veteran chefs in both the restaurants offer a delightful range of cuisines that are picked from both Indian and International menus.
Lounge and Bar in Maharaja Express
Maharaja Express renders opportunity to enjoy some fine wines in its two lounge bars. The Rajah Club and Safari Bar has elegant seating arrangement and décor that makes tasting of the spirits even better. Enjoy chats over drinks or while you cherish the view outside. These two lounge bars give enough liberty to its guests.
Journeys on Maharaja Express
There are 5 special Maharaja Express journeys departing either from Mumbai or Delhi. These expeditions are a way to discover the true spirit of India and understand its diversity. In these 5 different journeys, the guests can witness some extremely majestic forts and palaces, exquisite sculptures and art work; dense and rich forests and the spiritual side of India. Here are the journeys in detail:
Heritage of India Journey
- Duration: 7N/8D Click here for the detailed itinerary
- Destinations Covered: Mumbai-Ajanta-Udaipur-Jodhpur-Bikaner-Jaipur-Ranthambore-Agra-Delhi
- Insight: Beginning from Mumbai, the Heritage of India Journey on Maharaja Express showcases the rich heritage and culture of India. During the journey, the guests will be able to see the medieval caves of Ajanta, palaces and forts of Rajasthan and the impeccable Taj Mahal. The highlights of the expedition are the sundowner cocktails in the middle of the sand dunes, elephant paintings and rides and shopping at local markets.
Photo: Amit Rawat
- Duration: 7N/8D Click here for the detailed itinerary
- Destinations Covered: Delhi-Agra-Ranthambore-Jaipur-Bikaner-Jodhpur-Udaipur-Balasinor-Mumbai
- Insight: Indian Splendour journey on Maharaja Express is amongst the unforgettable train travel in India. The journey adds a pinch of everything from the palette of colorful India. During the train expedition, the guests will have the opportunity to unfold the treasure trove that consist a dash of spirituality, royalty, adventure, culture and tradition. The guests can enjoy varied delectable cuisines, excellent hospitality and well-guided tours to all the places included in the itinerary.
Travelling on Maharaja Express is one of the must-dos in India. The incredible journey is such that you will not regret all the fortune you spend on it. So don’t let anything stop you from taking this impeccable journey, travel like a royal heir on world’s best luxury train called Maharaja Express, where you are not merely a traveller but a part of a legacy.