An interesting sightseeing choice in Lucknow for kids is Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Prani Udyan. Popularly known as the Lucknow Zoo, Nawab Wajid Also Shah Prani Udyan was established to celebrate the visit of Prince of Wales of Lucknow in the year 1921. Formerly entitled as Prince of Wales Zoological Gardens, Lucknow Zoo is one of the oldest zoos in North India. The place is ideal to spend a day with friends and family. In total, this renowned tourist site in Lucknow covers a large area of 70 acres of land. Beinga delight for all the wild buffs, the zoo houses hundreds of wild species including reptiles and birds. Besides wildlife, it's the 'Bal Rail' that lures the attention of visitors. It is basically a toy train that gives you the tour of the entire zoo through a ride. Along with that, this kid-friendly attraction in Lucknow also proffers the facility of paddle boating which is very much famous amongst families. There is also an interpretation centre that allows tourists to have some useful information about wildlife. Adding a unique charm to this must-visit tourist place in Lucknow is the Children Park. It is a small area for children that houses various swings and slides. Inside the campus of the zoo, tourists can also visit the State Museum and Folk Arts Museum.
Hazratganj Road Opp. to Civil Hospital, Hazratganj, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226001, India.
Opening & Closing Timings
Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Prani Udyan remains open for all days a week except Monday. Tourists can visit the place on any day from Tuesday to Sunday. However, the operating hours of the zoo are classified into three phases:
- From February to April: 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
- May to July: 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- August to October: 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
- November to January: 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
The entry ticket to Lucknow Zoo varies as per the age of a visitor.
Adult above 12 years of Age
- Including entry ticket, Aquarium House, Nocturnal House and Nature Interpretation Centre: 60 INR Per Head.
- Including entry ticket, Aquarium House, Nocturnal House, Nature Interpretation Centre and Bal Train: 80 INR Per Head.
Children between 5 to 12 years of age
- Including Entry Ticket, Aquarium House, Nocturnal House and Nature Interpretation Centre: 30 INR Per Head
- Including Entry Ticket, Aquarium House, Nocturnal House, Nature Interpretation Centre and Bal Train: 40 INR Per Head
The entry ticket is free for children below the age of 5.
Nearby Tourists Attractions
In the near proximity of Lucknow Zoo, there are numerous other equally enthralling places of tourist's interest that are also visited by tourists.
- Bara Imambara
- Chota Imambara
- British Residency
- Lucknow Zoo
- Dr. Ambedkar Park
- State Museum Lucknow
- Rumi Darwaza
- Chattar Manzil
- Begum Hazrat Mahal Park
- 1857 Memorial Museum
- Hussainabad Picture Gallery
- Jama Masjid
- Maa Chandrika Devi Temple
- Indira Gandhi Planetarium