Hauz Khas Village Delhi
One of the reasons that South Delhi is always talk of the town is the presence of a historically rich and happening place on its land, Hauz Khas Village. Taking up the great central location which is surrounded by Gulmohar Park, Sarvapriya Vihar, Siri Fort, SDA, and Green Park, this tourist attraction is the perfect place for travellers to quench their thirst for history, architecture and also try the different beautifully set up restaurants, galleries, and boutiques. As and when travellers walk down to the complex, a certain rustic aura starts building up which is fully supported with lush greenery. The area was named after the royal water tank built during the reign of Alauddin Khilji which slowly became a part of the whole complex. Along with that, the village has attractions like a tomb, an Islamic Seminary, a water tank and pavilions which represent the bygone Delhi Sultanate reign.
History of the Attraction
Shuffling pages that talk about the history of Delhi, we get to know that Hauz Khas owns its name from the water reservoir which was built by Alauddin Khilji in the 13th Century. It was so built to supply water to the people living in the second medieval city of India, Siri. The village is set up around the Hauz Khas Complex which was revamped sometime close to 1960s. With every passing year, changes were made to the village when designer boutiques, galleries, and restaurants started sharing its land.
The Hauz Khas complex is open from 10:30 AM to 7:00 PM while the markets and the restaurants are open till 1:00 AM.
No entry fees
Best Time to Visit
The months from September to May are the best time to visit Hauz Khas Village as the weather stays tranquil and refreshing.
Top Things to Do & Places to See Nearby
- The artistically set up galleries and cafes are a major crowd puller.
- Visit Chor Minar which is around 1.8km away from Hauz Khas Village and is known as the ‘Tower of Thieves’ built by Alauddin Khilji in the 13th Century.
- Located at a distance of 7.1km, Lodhi Garden is another great option for travellers to visit. It is a city park which has ancient marvels dotted in it.
- Travellers can choose to visit Deer Park as it falls in the Hauz Khas area and is 700m away from the village.
- Qutub Minar which is situated 3.7km away is a must-visit place if you are fond of architecture.
- Settled some 9km away, Humayun’s Tomb is another famous tourist attraction in Delhi that can be visited when around Hauz Khas Village.
How to Reach?
The easiest way to reach Hauz Khas Village is by travelling through Delhi Metro. Hauz Khas metro station which falls on the Yellow Line and connects Magenta Line is the nearest metro station as it is located some 2.8km away.