Spread over a massive area of 2.24 sq km, Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary in Unnao district is an ideal place to visit in Uttar Pradesh for all the wildlife lovers and nature crawlers. Blessed with affluent nature and exquisite wildlife. It was the year 1984 when Nawabganj got its recognition as a wildlife sanctuary. The sanctuary boasts opulent biodiversity which consists of dense luxuriant vegetation, wild animals and birds. In total, Nawabganh Bird Sanctuary is home to more 250 species of birds, which includes both residential as well as migratory. At Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary, tourists can expect to catch the sights of some enthralling avifaunal species like sarus crane, pheasant-tailed jacana, open-bill stork, dabchick, white ibis, peafowl, bronze-winged jacana, tern, vulture, purple moorhen, king crow, bee-eater, Indian roller, lapwing and more.
In the winter season, the birds migrate from Siberia, China, Europe and Tibet. The list of these migratory avifaunal species at Nawabgan includes the popular names like cotton teal, coot, gadwall, greylag goose, red-crested pochard, pintail, mallard and shoveller. The population of these birds are in plenty at Nawabganj Wildlife Sanctuary, and therefore, one can easily spot them. Furthermore, this popular wildlife sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh also serves as the dwelling land of reptiles which includes cobra, vipers, water snakes, karait, and rat snakes. Along with that, a number of fishes like kavai, saul, katla, mangur, and sindhi also reside in Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary. A delight for all the nature aficionados, wildlife lovers and shutterbugs for a peaceful haven, Nawabganj is one of the most-visited tourist attractions in Uttar Pradesh.
Best Time to Visit
Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary remains flocked with tourists in almost all the seasons. Yet, the best time to visit the place is the winter season, i.e., from November to March. During this time of the year, the sanctuary enjoys a pleasant weather condition that remains in favour of tourism. The sanctuary operates from 15th November to 15th June.
- Summer: The summer season in Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary starts in the month of April and continues until June. Throughout these months, the temperature ranges from 27°C to 47°C. Such a high temperature makes weather condition hot and humid. Despite such unfavourable weather, the sanctuary receives a significant footfall of bird watchers during these months.
- Monsoon: The month of July marks the onset of monsoon season in Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary. During this time, the region receives heavy rainfall. With the first rainfall of the season, the beauty of the sanctuary blooms up to its best. However, the sanctuary remains closed throughout this time.
- Winter: Undoubtedly, winter is the best time to visit Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary. Commences in the month of November, the winter season in Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary is all about cool, calm and pleasant weather condition. The temperature during this time varies between 3°C to 22°C. Moreover, the season also enjoys the maximum footfall of travellers.
Where to Stay?
The city of Unnao offers decent accommodation options to tourists to have a stay around Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary. The options available here only include budget and deluxe accommodation. Moreover, there is no luxury hotel or resort in Unnao. For a better lodging option, tourists can opt to stay in Kanpur which is just 50 km from the sanctuary. The city of Kanpur proffers a large staying options to tourists and that too in all categories, whether luxury, budget, standard or deluxe. The hotels and resorts in Kanpur guarantee to offer some impeccable services and flawless arrangements essential to ensure a comfortable stay.
How to Reach?
Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary is quite easily accessible from all the means of transport - air, rail and road. However, the best way to reach is the railway which proffers the convenient transit facility to tourists.
- By Air: Both Kanpur Airport and Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport in Lucknow are the nearest airheads to Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary. The airports are located at a distance of 40 km and 30 km, respectively from the sanctuary. You can board a flight to any of the airport as both are very well connected with all the major cities of the country like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Chandigarh, and Hyderabad. However, Lucknow is an international airport, and hence, foreign tourists can book a flight to Lucknow. From the airport, taxi services can be availed to reach the destination.
- By Rail: The railway is the best way to reach Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary as it allows travellers from any corner of the country to reach the place. The nearest railway station from the sanctuary is Unnao Junction Railway Station. The station is located at a mere distance of 20 km from the sanctuary and is very well connected with all the major cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Kolkata. From the station, tourists can either hire a taxi or can board a bus to reach Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary.
- By Road: Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary is also quite easily accessible via road and national highway networks. Buses from other major neighbouring cities run on a regular basis to Unnao. Tourists can also prefer a self-drive from the nearby towns and cities to reach the sanctuary.