Centenary Methodist Delhi
Another prominent religious centre, located in Lodhi Colony, for the Christian community is the Centenary Methodist Church. Centenary Methodist Church is one of the oldest Methodist churches in Delhi that traces its history from 1948. However, during this time, the church was just a plan of Bishop J.W. Pickett which got initiated in the year 1956 when the foundation of the church was also laid. For that, a fundraising drive was organized with an aim to raise Rs 50,000, which was 10% of the total cost. However, the remaining 90% cost was promised by the Board of Missions, Methodist Church, New York. After the fundraising drive, in May 1959, the 1.27 acres of land was given to the contractor to build a church. After 18 months, the construction of the church got completed and it opened for general public with the name Centenary Methodist Church. At present, the church has more than 5000 members and is touted as one of the popular Christian shrines in Delhi. Besides, regular morning mass is observed at the church in Hindi and English languages. Whereas, on Sundays, Sunday school is also held at the church for children. The school aims at imparting youths about the religion of Christianity through Biblical knowledge and also teaches them about moral values. Besides, a number of fun activities are organized by the Sunday school. Not just this, Centenary Methodist Church also supports students to pursue their higher education by offering them scholarships. Along with that, this beautifully built church also observes various festivals like Christmas, Easter and Palm Sunday. Amongst those, Christmas is one significant festival which marks a large gathering of people from all regions.
24, Lodhi Road, New Delhi, Delhi 110003
The timings of Centenary Methodist Church differ in both the seasons. In summer (April to September) the Sunday Hindi mass starts at 10 in the morning, while the English mass starts at 8:00 AM.
Similarly, in the winter season (October to March), the Sunday Hindi mass begins at 10:30 AM whereas, the English mass commences from 8:30 in the morning.
How to Reach?
Reaching Centenary Methodist Church is quite a simple task. The church is located in South Delhi and the nearest metro station to Centenary Methodist Church is Jangpura. The distance between the station and the church is just 1.6 km. From the station, you can either hire an auto or you can also choose to walk down to the church. Jangpura Metro station lies on Violet Line.
Best Time to Visit?
The church remains open all days, and hence, can be visited on any day on your tour. However, while planning a trip to Delhi make sure to plan it during the time of Christmas, which is considered the best time to visit Centenary Methodist Church. On Christmas, the church remains fully decorates and is thronged with numerous people, from far and wide.
Nearby Tourist Attractions:
Once you are done with exploring Centenary Methodist Church, you can visit the other attractions that are located in the near proximity to the church.
- Lodhi Gardens
- India Gate
- Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Raj Ghat
- Hauz Khas Village
- Hauz Khas Fort
- Deer Park
- Shish Gumbad
- Sabz Burj
- Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia Dargah
- Humayun’s Tomb
- Khan Market
- Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium
- National Gallery of Modern Art