Kailash Mansarovar Yatra 2015 to Commence from June 8
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Thursday said “The Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage will start from June 8, 2015. And this will be the first time when elderly pilgrims and those having problems with mobility will be able to visit comfortably, thanks to China for allowing the use of a motorable route in their territory.”
“Until 2014, the pilgrimage could only be done through Lipulekh pass (in Uttarakhand), which is not an easy route to undertake. Now with the permission to access the Nathu-La pass, it will be very convenient for pilgrims, especially old and people with mobility problems to complete the yatra.” Ms Swaraj said.
India gained access to this new motorable route on the India-China border through a memorandum of understanding that was signed by both the countries when Chinese President Xi Jinping visited India last year in September.
Around 1080 people in eighteen batches will go through the old route and 250 people in five batched will pass through the new route to reach Kailash Mansarovar in Tibet.
Ms. Sushma Swaraj also unveiled a website that has all the required information about the yatra. Available in both Hindi and English, it will also give a unique identification number to the user so that he/she can track the status of the form submitted on the site.
Further, a bilingual Kailash Mansarovar yatra helpline has also been set – 011-24300655. By calling, anyone can ask anything related to the pilgrimage, be it fares, things one need to carry, etc.
You may also be interested in: