A Place in India Where Women Rule the Roost
You know how they say, ‘It’s a man’s world after all,’ well not when you are in Meghalaya. Home to Khasi tribe, who number about 1 million, carry on the matrilineal tradition. Yes, it is the place where women wear pants in the house and men are somewhat considered cursed. Did this fact give your world a little shake? Well, wait till you read the facts below:
1. In Khasi Tribe, a child is given the surname of the mother, not of the father.
2. Women are free to take up any job or occupation. Almost every woman in Meghalaya is employed and contributes to the income of the family.
3. Women are also given the liberty to marry anyone of their choice (not belonging to the same clan).
4. After the marriage, the husband lives in his Mother-in-Law’s home and has to follow the rules of the family.
5. The youngest daughter inherits the wealth of the family.
Do these facts fascinate you? And you want to plan a visit to this amazing North-eastern state, which is also known for its cleanest village in Asia, Mawlynnong; wettest places in the world, Cherrapunji and Mawsynram? We at Tour My India have a package for you. We design travel packages that are affordable but at the same time cater to all your needs. So, don’t hesitate to give us a call at +919212553106 or drop an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also like to read