Bhojeshwar Temple is situated on a mountain abutting Bhojpur. It is around 32 km from the capital of Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal. Every year, thousands of devotees come to this temple to pray and purge their mind, body & soul.
Let us take a look at some astounding facts of Bhojeshwar Temple
- The temple was built by the famous Raja Bhoj between 1010 BC and 1055 BC.
- The Shivling placed here is made of single stone and is 18-feet long. And it’s diameter is 7.5 feet
- There is a slope behind the temple that is believed to be used for rolling the stones up for construction. It is said that no other similar structure in the world has this technique available to build huge complexes.
- This unfinished temple could have been one of the largest temples of Lord Shiva if it was completed.
- Archeological Survey of India is responsible for the protection of this temple.
- Since local builders are constantly procuring the stones from the remains of the temple, the place is in imminent danger.
- Depicting the temple plans, mouldings and pillars, there are various architectural drawings etched on the flat surfaces of the quarry.