( Government Museum & Art Gallery )
Government Museum & Art Gallery
Zakir Hussain Rose Garden
Government Museum and Art Gallery, Chandigarh
The museum is situated in Sector 10-C, opposite Leisure Valley and
Rose Garden. It possesses the largest collection of the world famous
Gandhara Sculptures after Lahore. The adjacent museum contains fossils
and implements of prehistoric humans found in India. It opens for
public daily between 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. except on Mondays,
national and public holidays.
Le Corbusier designed the Government Museum & Art Gallery
as a building for the Museum and it came into being on the 6th of
May 1968 with untiring efforts of Late M.S. Randhawa, the then Chief
Commissioner. Like the City of Chandigarh, the Museum owes its existence
to the partition of the country. The collection of arts objects,
paintings, sculpture and decorative arts was housed in Lahore, the
then Capital of Punjab.
The division of the collection took place
on 20th April 1948 by which 60% of the objects were retained as
were the objects already re-produced in books and excavated from
the sites falling in erstwhile Punjab. The remaining 40% collection
consisting mainly of Gandhara Sculpture and miniature paintings
fell in the share of East Punjab. It was decided in 1960 that the
Museum should have a building of its own in Chandigarh.
possesses the largest collection of the world famous Gandhara Sculptures
after Lahore. There is also a well-appointed library in the Museum,
which meets the needs of the scholars and students.