Home

States of India
Andhra Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh

Assam

Bihar

Chhattisgarh

Delhi

Goa

Gujarat

Haryana

Himachal Pradesh

Jammu & Kashmir

Jharkhand

Karnataka

Kerala

Madhya Pradesh

Maharashtra
Manipur

Meghalaya

Mizoram
Nagaland

Orissa
Punjab
Rajasthan
Sikkim
Tamil Nadu
Tripura
Uttaranchal

Uttar Pradesh
West Bengal


     Union Territories

Andaman and 
      Nicobar Islands

Chandigarh
Dadra and Nagar       Haveli 
Daman and Diu
Lakshadweep
Pondicherry
 

Ask Tour My India


Indian States

Haryana

Attraction
( Government Museum & Art Gallery )

Government Museum & Art Gallery
Zakir Hussain Rose Garden
The Secretariat building

Government Museum and Art Gallery, Chandigarh
The museum is situated in Sector 10-C, opposite Leisure Valley and Rose Garden. It possesses the largest collection of the world famous Gandhara Sculptures after Lahore. The adjacent museum contains fossils and implements of prehistoric humans found in India. It opens for public daily between 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. except on Mondays, national and public holidays.

Creation
Le Corbusier designed the Government Museum & Art Gallery as a building for the Museum and it came into being on the 6th of May 1968 with untiring efforts of Late M.S. Randhawa, the then Chief Commissioner. Like the City of Chandigarh, the Museum owes its existence to the partition of the country. The collection of arts objects, paintings, sculpture and decorative arts was housed in Lahore, the then Capital of Punjab.

The division of the collection took place on 20th April 1948 by which 60% of the objects were retained as were the objects already re-produced in books and excavated from the sites falling in erstwhile Punjab. The remaining 40% collection consisting mainly of Gandhara Sculpture and miniature paintings fell in the share of East Punjab. It was decided in 1960 that the Museum should have a building of its own in Chandigarh.

The Museum possesses the largest collection of the world famous Gandhara Sculptures after Lahore. There is also a well-appointed library in the Museum, which meets the needs of the scholars and students.


 
LET'S PLAN YOUR TRIPTour My India