April 5, 2016 marked the date for India’s fastest train launch in New Delhi. Gatimaan Express, which will run between Delhi and Agra, was flagged off by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu from Delhi’s Hazrat Nizamuddin Station.
According to reports, the semi high-speed train, with a 5,400 horse power electric locomotive and top speed of 160 kmph, covered nearly 200 km distance between Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station and Agra Cantonment station in exactly 100 minutes, as promised. It is to be noticed that Gatimaan is only slightly faster than the Bhopal Shatabdi that was launched 28 years ago. The train takes 117 minutes to reach Agra but also takes a longer route, starting from the New Delhi Railway station.
Here are some of the highlights at a glance of this fastest train in India:
- The train has 5,400 horse power electric locomotive and top speed of 160 kmph.
- Gatimaan Express will cover 188kms between Delhi and Agra in 100 minutes.
- The train is operational throughout the week, except for Fridays.
- There are two Executive AC Chair Car and eight AC Chair Car coaches.
- The fare of the AC Chair Car is Rs 750, whereas Rs.Executive Chair Car Passangers have to pay Rs 1500.
- The train like the airplanes will have hostess that will welcome the passengers with a flower. Passengers are likely to be served on their seats.
- Free Wi-Fi and Multimedia facility is available onboard.
- Keeping in view the Prime Minister ‘ Swachh Bharat’ project,the Indian Railways has installed bio-toilets in the train.
- To attain the high speed, tracks on Delhi-Agra route have been fenced off at few places. Also, signalling system has been upgraded.
- The train features extra advance facilities like automatic fire alarm, emergency braking system along with passenger information system and sliding doors inside the coaches.
- Train coaches also have several paintings of the tourist places in and around Delhi and Agra.
- The coaches of the train are developed under the ‘Make In India’ initiative and are built at Kapurthala Railway Coach Factory in Punjab.
Tour My India News Desk.
You may also like to read:
Published: 07 Apr, 2016 Tour My India