Chardham Rail Project: A 327 Km Rail Link That Can Change the Face of Uttarakhand Tourism
So, the foundation stone for the much anticipated and talked about the Chardham rail project has been laid by the most progressive Railway Minister of India, Suresh Prabhu. This 43,292Cr project that was the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi is being hoped to become the easiest transport means to reach the far-flung Chardham and other destinations in Uttarakhand even during the adverse climatic conditions. Therefore, it wouldn’t be incorrect to state that once completed and operational, this rail network can change definitely change the face of Uttarakhand tourism forever. Here’s all that you need to know about this peerless rail project.
Insight into Chardham Rail Project
An onerous project, Chardham Rail Link is a vision that once materialize can make Uttarakhand quite accessible. The project aims at making travel quite easy and safe to the Chardham and far-distant places in Uttarakhand. Here are the highlights of this project.
- Under this project, a single broad gauge rail line will be laid down, which shall connect Chardham destinations.
- It is a Rs 43,292 crore project that will include construction of 21 railway stations, 61 tunnels of the total length of 279 km and 59 bridges along with the 327 kms rail line.
- The journey for Yamunotri and Gangotri will begin from Doiwala near Dehradun.
- The rail line between Doiwala and Gangotri will be 131 km long, whereas in order to connect it with Yamunotri, an additional 22 kms line will be laid down from Maneri.
- Starting point for Kedarnath and Badrinath Yatra will be at Karnaprayag. A rail line of 99 kms will connect Karnaprayag and Sonprayag for Kedarnath, and a 75 kms line will be laid between Karnaprayag and Joshimath for Badrinath.
- Reservation counters will be set up at Badrinath and Kedarnath.
It is noteworthy that a 12,000 Cr disaster-proof two-lane road project is also in the pipeline in Uttarakhand. The aim of this project is also to provide better connectivity on the Chardham circuit and areas around it. Annually a large number of people come to partake in the Chardham Yatra and a few to enjoy trekking in the Garhwal mountains that are known for impeccable beauty. It is evident an average footfall in the state is in millions, and thus it is a great idea to provide this large gentry a convenient and safer means of transport. Here is an analysis as to how this ambitious project can boost tourism in Uttarakhand.
Benefits of Chardham Rail Project
- The fact that the project envisages to offer safer and faster means of transport to some of the most important places in Garhwal Himalayas including the Chardham, would eventually allure a lot more people.
- The project is said to help the safe inflow of tourists even during the extreme climatic conditions, which can be construed as prosperous year round tourism in the state, which was otherwise restricted to the summer months.
- The locals, who have been residing away from their native state would no longer worry about the excessive time consumed travelling back home. Thus, we can expect more people on weekends and during festivals.
- In fact, intrastate commutation will become a lot easier, which means, the locals would be seen exploring their own state every now and then and that too without a hassle.
- It will be taken as a precedent, and a similar project shall even start in other parts as well as region (Kumaon) of the state.