Big Threat to Ecosystem- More than 50 Animal Species in India Critically Endangered
Out of 9600, more than 50 animal species “critically endangered,” says the government…..
Animals, an important part of our ecosystem, are facing some serious trouble due to human activity, climate change and global warming.
On Monday, 14th March 2016, Union Government informed Rajya Sabha that out of 96000 species recorded in the country, 50 have been assessed as “critically endangered”(CR) and 310 as endangered (EN). Union Environment Minister, Prakash Javadekar, made this announcement by means of a written statement.
Following were the key facts revealed in the written report by Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar:
1) According to the survey of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), 96,000 species of animals has been recorded in India. Out of these 96000, International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has estimated that 50 animal species are “critically endangered,” including 18 species of amphibians, 14 varieties of fish, 13 birds and 10 mammals.
2) IUCN further assessed that 310 species are endangered, including 69 fish, 38 mammals and 32 amphibians.
3) Botanical Survey of India (BSI) has revealed that out of 19,156 species of vascular plants found in India, 1,236 species belong to different threatened categories like critically endangered, endangered and vulnerable.
4) For the conversation of threatened species, Governments of India has established 730 protected areas, including 535 wildlife sanctuaries, 103 national parks, 26 community reserves and 66 conservation reserves, which covers the habitat of threatened species like tiger, elephant, rhino, etc.
5) 9 out of 18 biosphere reserves in India are listed in the World Network of Biosphere Reserves of UNESCO.
6) National CAMPA Advisory Council has approved the funding for recovery programme of various endangered species. Following are the funding proposals:
- Gangetic River Dolphin (CR) -Rs 23 crore
- Dugong (CR) – Rs 23.58 crore
- Great Indian Bustard (CR) – Rs 108.25 crore
- Manipur Brow Antlered deer (CR) – Rs 99.95 crore
- Wild Buffalo (CR) – Rs 2 crore.
Tour My India News Desk.